Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Mother believes she may have Aspergers I agree is it worth getting diagnosed in your 50's?

(6 Posts)
Bigmouthstrikesagain Mon 26-Oct-09 18:13:24

I think it probably is but I have no idea how to convince her of this. I don't think her extreme social anxiety and complex behaviour could be explained by depression alone.

But is it helpful to have an AS diagnosis will she get any real help or just a new label to add to depressive personality!? There are several children in the family/ of friends on the Autistic spectrum and familiarity with their behaviour has made mum realise she shares many of their traits.

However I have a battle on my hands to convince her it is worth getting a professional opinion on this - is there any point? Any experience of adult diagnosis would be great! Thank you.

Bigmouthstrikesagain Mon 26-Oct-09 20:09:56

Hopeful bump

hairyclaireyfairy Sun 01-Nov-09 21:23:59

Hi, sorry don't have any useful advice but perhaps if you posted this in the special needs section someone may be able help.

cheapskatemum Mon 02-Nov-09 21:40:33

Hi! I am studying for an MEd in Autism and have heard that there is very little help available for adults with AS, BUT so much more is known about the condition now than when your Mum was growing up that she would be able to find out loads of information for herself. Have you considered that her complex behaviour and depression might be because of her AS, not in addition to it?

I also have relatives with AS and ASD and it certainly helped me to cope with their behaviours once I understood some central tenets of the disorder. There is an online questionnaire for self diagnosing AS, by the way.

gigglewitch Mon 02-Nov-09 21:47:09

I think the 'use' for having the label is to get her the resources and healthcare that she needs - I worked in adult [autism] services for 14 yrs, have recently moved back into teaching; I really do think from speaking to the more able folk (mainly those with AS and high functioning autism) they were much more able to "deal" with their difficulties once they and others knew how to handle them.

Bigmouthstrikesagain Wed 04-Nov-09 23:15:22

Thank you for posting hairy, cheapskate and gigglewitch.

I will pursue a proper diagnosis with ma and probably start a thread in special needs for further advice.

All very useful as I am still trying to process the implications of an AS dx for mum (and rest of family!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now