Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Postnatal depression and BF - which AD's and what time of day?

(6 Posts)
Honeymoonmummy Fri 23-Oct-09 16:53:27

I need some advice re AD's. I've been diagnosed with PND for approx 6 months now, my DD is nearly 1 and I am still BF which restricts what I can take. My main symptom is irritability/ irrational anger, altho I also have anxiety.

I first took Sertraline (50mg then 100mg) which helped with the irritability but I found I couldn't get to sleep at night, I used to take them around 9-12 in the morning.

I then moved to Citalopram (20mg then 40mg), I'm currently on 40mg but they do not seem to be helping as much as the Sertraline with the irritability, although I can sleep well at night. I take them per docs advice last thing at night.

I've been back to the docs and now been prescribed Escitalopram 10mg which is apparently the sister tablet to the Citalopram. I'm nervous of switching to these as I can't find any info saying they're OK with BF; the manufacturers advice (as usual) is that they're not OK.

SO my questions are; has anyone else found taking Sertraline at a different time of day helps with sleeplessness and are there any other AD's out there which I haven't considered yet?

Many thanks and apologies for the essay!

BonjourIvresse Fri 23-Oct-09 21:34:00

I take sertraline as soon as I wake up (7am) and don't have problems with sleep. That said, I'm still very sleep deprived with DS waking every 3 hrs so I could sleep anywhere at the moment...

IdrisTheDragon Fri 23-Oct-09 21:37:21

I took sertraline while pg and then while bf. I took 100mg at night, as I found that helped with the sickness it initially gave me.

I don't remember any problems with not being able to sleep though I do find that chenging ADs or their dosage does give me very vivid dreams for a while.

LeonieBooCreepy Fri 23-Oct-09 21:37:41

Message withdrawn

Honeymoonmummy Fri 23-Oct-09 23:00:59

Thanks Leonie, that's quite encouraging. I might try the escitalopram then.

Honeymoonmummy Wed 11-Nov-09 23:20:17

I just thought I'd update this to let you know I went back onto Sertraline in the end and so far taking it at night is working on the sleep front, I'm also feeling a lot calmer than I was with the citalopram. Thanks all for your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now