Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I went to my GP for support and....

(4 Posts)
LittleMarshmallow Thu 22-Oct-09 09:03:46

I am having a really bad time just now, have been seeing my old GP even though I have moved house as getting a new one is a nightmare, but my old GP is happy for this to continue.

I wasn't coping yesterday and so did as my GP told me to do and called the practice. My GP is actually off on holiday so I got someone else. He basically told me that I was wasting his time, what did I expect to gain from the phone call, then ended the call with you need to find a new GP good luck with that good bye.

This obviously left me in a real state so my work sent me to the doctors after seeing how bad I was, having called ahead, I then had to see the same person who I spoke to on the phone. He basically told me that I was wasting his time, that what did I expect when I didn't even have an appointment and that he had, had to deal with me. He told me to go and find some activities to do.

It took me over 2 hours to get the courage to call to admit that I wasn't coping and now I feel like a complete failure. Is this normal for GP's to do this?

flier Thu 22-Oct-09 09:07:17

I think that all GPs are different tbh. I also think, though, that you need to make a complaint about your treatment. For now, write down everything as it happened, and what was said etc.
Do you know when your normal GP is back from holiday?

LittleMarshmallow Thu 22-Oct-09 09:33:33

Yeah he isnt back till next week, although I do have an appointment with him on Thursday just after everything else that has happened this week I just needed some support.

iwascyteenagewerewolf Thu 22-Oct-09 09:35:35

GPs do vary wildly in their ability to handle mental health issues. This bloke just sounds like a wanker, tbh. Maybe contact Mind or similar for immediate support now, then discuss with your GP on Thursday. And make a complaint to the practice manager about being rudely dismissed today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now