Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

venlafaxine "tremors"?

(7 Posts)
mrmump Thu 15-Oct-09 21:22:37

These are slow release over 24hours, but from around 22 hours and just after I've taken them, I get the oddestr sensation i my head like my skull is trembling. So odd, but once the pills kick in they stop. sound familar?

hairyclaireyfairy Sat 17-Oct-09 12:42:41

I used to get a bit jittery and this would go away once i'd taken my tabs

cupcake123 Sat 17-Oct-09 14:10:23

Very familiar. In my family we used to call them headshocks - horrible, and very difficult to describe to someone who's never felt it.

mrmump Sat 17-Oct-09 20:58:04

Good, I thought I was going mad! Or should that be madder?! Its honestly like an electric shock to my brain. slightly dizzy afterwards as well.

JollyPirate Sat 17-Oct-09 21:03:01

Electric shock sensations in the head are a common withdrawal effect from some of the SSRI medications. I am on Venlafaxine too and get these sensations as well by the time I am due the next dose.
I have had several conversations with GPs who have told me that these sensations are "psychosomatic" and in my mind - believe me it takes a lot of self control not to scream "try walking in my shoes with these symptoms pal". Thankfully my own GP is not of that ilk - the last one to say "it's all in your mind" got a stiff letter and loads of research to back me up.

PumpkinsCantDanceTheTango Sat 17-Oct-09 21:04:16

google brain shivers

cupcake123 Sun 18-Oct-09 13:04:53

mrmump - yes, a painless electric shock. Horrible. I remember walking down the high street on my way to Boots to pick up a prescription once (I'd run out several days before) and getting them so badly that I felt like I was going to fall over. I'm so glad I don't have to take venlafaxine any more. It didn't really work for me anyway so it's not like I was getting anything out of it apart from the unpleasant side effects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now