Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Please come and talk to me about panic attacks I feel they are taking over my life.

(12 Posts)
inastateofnearconstantterror Wed 14-Oct-09 20:01:37

I am really struggling. I have been having horrific panic attacks for about 3 months now. I have the odd good day but most days I am either having them or waiting for the next ones.

I am finding if very difficult to be around my dc when I am like this because the sudden noises they make when excited or playingmake me nervous and can trigger one off sad. I hate myself for this. I have been prescribed AD's but I am too scared to take them. I have to do something though, I have had them for years on and off but always under control to a certain extent, they are horrendous now though, I never thought I could feel so awful.

I have tried most things, meditation, deep relaxation etc and I am on the wait list for CBT. Please any advice and thoughts would be welcome.

FrayedKnot Wed 14-Oct-09 20:06:06

Oh poor you It is exhausting suffering from that level of anxiety all the time.

Why are you too scared to take the ADs? I know they don;t always feel like the right solution but they can help with anxiety as well as depression. Maybe they might help break the cycle for a while?

inastateofnearconstantterror Wed 14-Oct-09 20:10:22

I am just terrified of the side affects. I started on Venlafaxine a couple of years ago, had a horrific panic attack on the first day and never took one again. I know you can have heightened anxiety for the first couple of weeks and I just can't face it. I know I have to though, it is not fair on my family, especially my kids. My GP really thinks I should go on them to give myself some relief and I know she is right but thinking about taking them is enough to bring an attack on, its ridiculous really.

Thank you for replying. I have never felt as scared and sad as this, I just want to get better.

IsItMeOr Wed 14-Oct-09 20:18:44

sad So sorry to hear you're feeling like this. I don't know about ADs, and have only had mild anxiety compared to what you're describing, but I know even that was very scary.

Hopefully CBT will help. Is there any chance you could pay for some private help - iirc talking therapies are supposed to be effective for anxiety - while you're waiting for the NHS to come through? I know it's expensive, but best money I ever spent personally.

ADs - I know a number of people who have taken them/are taking them, and they have made a world of positive difference to them.

Sorry, not sure that's much help, but sending you positive vibes.

mumof2000 Wed 14-Oct-09 20:24:25

Hi inastate ..welcome your not alone .. many people on MN with this to ..
I suffer anxiety mainly health and have done for 3 years now and have also had the odd panic attack ...just recently i have been bad and again doc offered me AD cliprolal i think its called 10mg , but like you am worried about side effects so havent taken them ...
when im having an ok day or so i think im in control and dont need them....
i think im in denial as the anxiety soon comes back if not in health will be one of the children or work or something ...

have you tried CBT or couseling ( please forgive bad spelling )
keeping busy does help to ...

hoe you feel better soon xx

inastateofnearconstantterror Wed 14-Oct-09 20:32:20

Thank you all for replying. I do try to keep busy. While I was having tonights attack I did the washing up and tidied the kitchen, not easy when all you want to do is run screaming out of the nearest exit from some invisible, non existent danger. I have to say I don't I would put up with it except that just afterwards I am so edgy with my dc and I hate them seeing my like that.

I tried counselling but I actually found it made them worse. I have been doing CBT by myself until I my referral comes up and that has been helpful but I honestly think I am one of those that needs to do in alongside medication, yet I am scared of medication, what a no win situation. My GP has prescribed Citalopram and seems reallys sure they will help, she says it is worth the side effects to get the relief. I think being scared about the side effects must have an element of Health anxiety in it.

I think mine is just purely stress induced, I have been through a bad break up and have a disabled child. Think my stress levels were just up to over flowing and beyond and something had to give. Its a nightmare though.

sagan Wed 14-Oct-09 20:38:35

I am in exactly the same position. I've just had my first conuselling session this week and I can't describe how much better i feel than even a few weeks ago. I was afraid in my own house, afraid of noises and afraid to open my windows. The constant, physical feeling of panic just became unbearable which is what made me go to the GP. I was prescribed citalopram at first but after about 5 days it made my panic attacks horrendous so I was changed to trazodone. It's worth remembering that no two people have the same reaction to these drugs so you have no reason not to take them- I never understand why people fret so much about anti depressants, if you had an infection you'd take the antibiotic wink. The trazodone has taken the panic away completely and I now function pretty much normally, and I've only been on them 3 weeks I too have been put on the list for CBt so we'll see how long I have to wait and how it goes. Interestingly enough, I had thought my problem was entirely stress related anxiety, but the person I saw said it was far more likely to be postnatal depression manifesting in panic attakcs

flakecake Thu 15-Oct-09 09:31:25

Hi Love,
I think you should give the Citilopram a try, give it a month at least. I had panick attacks many years ago, I used to get them at work. My manager was good and asked why I kepted on leaving the office... So I got pyschotherapy...and it work very quickly, within about four sessions.

Are your fears based in reality? Or are you building things up in your mind?

LittleMissNorticiaAdams Thu 15-Oct-09 09:35:32

I take citalopram for anxiety and I can honestly say it has changed my life.

Please try them. They didn't heighten my anxiety at all, but made me feel pretty knackered.

Please take them....you will feel like a different person in 2 weeks.

inastateofnearconstantterror Thu 15-Oct-09 11:06:25

Thank you, I really needed to read the last two posts as I have just half an hour ago taken my first Citalopram. I have never been so scared in my whole life, I don't think. Why am I so terrified? Thanks so much for your support it has actually helped me take that first tablet which I though I would never be able to do.

I am just terrified that every little twinge is the beginning of some horrific side effect. Why am I such a wuss?

LittleMissNorticiaAdams Thu 15-Oct-09 11:14:15

Well done!

Tiredness was my only side effect which lasted for a couple of weeks. However, I was told to take them in the morning so I was awake when the drug was in my system IYKWIM.

Just remember, you will look back on today in a couple of weeks and realise how much better you are feeling.

What strength did the GP give you? I am on 20mg

inastateofnearconstantterror Thu 15-Oct-09 11:58:06

10 mg for one week then up to 20 mg. Had dry mouth and yawned a bit so far and felt quite anxious after I took it but not feeling so bad now, slightly headachy. Could all be the stress of taking the thing though. Was a tiny pill, which was reassuring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now