Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Does anybody else out there routinely pick at blemishes (real or perceived) on their face, completely mercilessly

(15 Posts)
GrassyArse Wed 14-Oct-09 00:29:56

Message withdrawn

pinkyp Wed 14-Oct-09 01:33:07

Urm..never done this but if i do get blemishes i do have to squeeze them and i'll have attack them with the tweezers, often causing them to bleed....i then spend months picking at the dried scab so i end up with a beautiful little red scar..lovley! lol

doughnutty Wed 14-Oct-09 10:31:09

I thought it was just me. I spend a lot of time picking at the dry skin/blemishes on my face. If it bleeds I make it worse because I have scabs to pick at. Don't need a mirror either. Drives my husband nuts.

I'm hoping when the baby arrives in the next few weeks I won't have time/energy to do it and will break the cycle.

As an aside, I used to bite my nails and gave that up and this habit seemed to replace it. My face is usually a mess but my nails look great!

Restrainedrabbit Wed 14-Oct-09 10:33:27

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatillomania All about Dermatillomania smile

Lexilicious Wed 14-Oct-09 10:36:38

same here, all of the above. If bored, like the OP, I have caught myself searching for the slightest thing to squeeze at.

Also have the inverse relationship with nail-biting.

Have had moderate success (but never been able to sustain it for more than a couple of months) with exchanging a different habit: eg for nails, carry file and cuticle nippers around to "just tidy up" the edges without putting fingers in mouth, and for face, go to the bathroom and cleanse-moisturise with a lovely hot flannel. VG for de-stressing too.

GrassyArse Wed 14-Oct-09 21:05:39

Message withdrawn

pinkyp Wed 14-Oct-09 23:38:10

oh my god i do the eyebrow thing!

maybebaby23 Fri 23-Oct-09 16:19:07

Oh. My. God.

I do the eyebrow thing. AND search my face for spots or blemishes to pick at shock

I have health anxiety, general anxiety, fear of crowded places and panic whenever i have to go out anywhere slight OCD too is it all connected??

*wrings hands, goes off to worry about mental state*

KatieScarlett2833 Fri 23-Oct-09 16:22:01

I do this too.

citronella Fri 23-Oct-09 16:23:34

I do that. In fact right now I am sitting here with blotchy face where 1/2 hour ago it was fairly clear and even complexioned blush.

rabbit54 Tue 27-Oct-09 20:52:45

I have so many tiny little marks on my face from 25 yrs of doing just this and i would love to stop. At the moment I am sporting a big scab on my lip, self made, and to flat pale scabs from picking nothing. The last two years i have not always been able to wear sleeveless tops due to the same habit on my arms. Does anyone have any tips to stop? I would love to stop. My older sister had the same problem and got me started on it. She use to pay me to squeeze my spots on my arms. Any way my sister managed to stop it after 15yrs but we dont talk any more so i dont know how she did stop.

GrassyArse Tue 27-Oct-09 21:07:18

Message withdrawn

rabbit54 Tue 27-Oct-09 21:45:12

i thought about getting one of those squeezy balls for stress relief to play with... i also replay in my visual memory the squeezing of a good pus filled spot over and over again.

whiteorchids Mon 09-Nov-09 20:41:03

Thanks for the link restrainedrabbit, I have been doing this to my scalp and I now have a bald patch of the size of a 10p (: I have always done it to a mild extent, but this year has been pretty stressful and now I've done this to myself. I love my hair but now conscious of this patch, I don't know what to do about it, my hairdresser commented on it last month and I didn't know what to say. I have to stop doing this and I need to find out why I'm doing it, I don't do it to any other part of my body.

InLoveWithPugs Thu 12-Nov-09 14:53:57

Wow, so good to hear that other people do this too. I'm the queen of picking at stuff and it annoys me so much. Used to be pulling out single strands of hair when I was a child and teenager (my mum had to cut my hair short as there were so many bald patches), then plucking body hair with tweezers, picking at my face, pulling out grey hairs, and constantly breaking off split ends.

Don't pull the hair out any more thank god (I think moving in with my ex helped, as I wouldn't do it in front of him), but still spend at least an hour every night doing all the rest. It drives me crazy as I feel like I'm wasting my time when I could be asleep or doing something constructive, but it really is a compulsion.

I've thought about going to see a doctor about it but get to scared as they'll probably think I'm completely crazy!!! Also, in my experience GP's tend to be pretty rubbish when it comes to things like this! Aside from the picking obsession everything is fine in my life at the mo, and I'm not particularly stressed, so I have absolutely no idea why I still do it

Any tips that anyone has for stopping would be hugely appreciated!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now