Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is there somewhere to just chat about going to counselling?

(7 Posts)
purplehippo Tue 13-Oct-09 19:22:03

'Cause I've got loads of things to ask - I don't really understand what's meant to happen next.

I've been to one session and I have no idea what's meant to happen next? I haven't got another appointment for 3 weeks which has thrown me slightly - GP asked for counsellor to fit me in asap, she did but now it's 3 weeks for the next appointment? Also I want to know what I ought to be able to expect to 'get out of it'? I am seeing the counsellor for depression, I got to the point where I'm fed up of being depressed so went to GP and he thinks counselling will have a faster effect than ADs but I don't feel any further forward than before the session and 3 weeks away seems ages to wait. The counsellor was lovely but I feel slightly short-changed that I won't see anyone again for 3 weeks when last week it was urgent that I was seen?

Sorry for going on and on, I'm just so confused what I ought to be able to expect from counselling.

FABIsInTraining Tue 13-Oct-09 19:33:10

Maybe there are appointments kept to fit in urgent cases and then you are in the system so go on to the regular list.

Why not ask how things will work at your next appointment and see what their plan is for you?

adelicatequestion Tue 13-Oct-09 19:40:05

I found it takes a while for them to get to know you.

It depends what emotional "stuff" you may need to deal with.

I am quite an impatient person and wanted weekly sessions so 3 weeks would be a nightmare for me too. But maybe when you next see her, ask if she can book you weekly appointments 3 or 4 weeks ahead rather than just each time you go.

purplehippo Tue 13-Oct-09 19:41:11

Thanks for answering.

The counsellor said I could call on a Fri to see if there are any cancellations for the Mon (think she maybe only works Mons?) but the reception staff who book the appointments were less helpful about booking appointments. Guess I will have to be pushy - which is the last thing I feel like doing right now.

I have no idea if they have a plan for me - I had no idea what to expect from the first session and have done that thing of leaving the room then having 1001 questions. The counsellor said I could see her as often as I wanted but reception staff weren't so accommodating. I think I just feel a bit lost at sea now the first session's been and gone.

purplehippo Tue 13-Oct-09 19:46:50

Thanks adelicatequestion too - I was just in a bit of a mental mess when I left, so just took the appointment they offered. I'm really worrying about the next 3 weeks.

I want to know how soon I will get anything out of it - the first session was more a 'getting to know you' session. I feel a bit like now I've managed to ask for help I want you to provide it! I took nearly a year to go to GP and ask for help and now I'm 'ready' to try and sort stuff out and I want to do it while I've got the momentum going iykwim

adelicatequestion Tue 13-Oct-09 19:49:55

You will feel like that. The first session is all about the issues you present with and as you have more sessions and she gets to know you and you feel more comfortable with her it won;t seem so bad.

Have you got a little notebook that you could write things down as you think of them. That way it gets them out of your mind for now but also reminds you when you next go.

I still go sometimes with things in my head I want to ask and then forget.

purplehippo Tue 13-Oct-09 21:16:09

Thanks again for replying - sorry I went to have dinner.
I will try to find a notebook to scribble things down when I think of them. I'm just a bit anxious about this not working, or at least not working soon enough - I know xmas will be a very diffficult time and I would like to know that I'll be in a position to handle it by then. Do you think 6 weeks is long enough for me to be feeling better placed to deal with feelings? I'm hoping so, the GP thought ADs would take a few months and counselling would take effect quicker - I'm not sure how quickly though. I am feeling more determined to get a cancellation if I possibly can, and book up a few sessions in advance too, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now