Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

trying to minimise level of AD in breastmilk ....

(5 Posts)
choklit Sun 27-Sep-09 09:44:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Reallytired Sun 27-Sep-09 22:48:25

Depends a lot on the medication. Prehaps its a question best answered by your pharmacist.

Hangingbellyofbabylon Sun 27-Sep-09 22:54:12

what are you taking? i'm on sertraline and have been told the amount passed into breastmilk is too small to matter. They really do vary so it's important to be on the right one. smile

Reallytired Mon 28-Sep-09 00:30:52

I assume she must mean the half life http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_half-life.

Reallytired donns her scientist hat

It takes so many hours for a drug to be absorbed into the blood and then it takes a certain length of time for the body to excrete the drug.

Some drugs remain in the body for weeks where as others will be excreted within hours.

The biological half life is affected by the drug's solubility in fat or water. The human body is pretty good at stopping poisons getting into breastmilk. You have to think about all the dodgy substances breastfeeding mums have taken in the past, yet the human race is still alive today.

I once tried to explain the concept of biological half life to a health visitor. The poor woman must have thought I was in a psycotic state.

Reallytired Mon 28-Sep-09 00:32:16

biological half life

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now