Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone with experience of an ed - what "happens" if you ask for treatment?

(10 Posts)
twoisplenty Sun 27-Sep-09 09:40:23

Because it is (already) getting to the stage where my physical health is suffering. I am losing loads of weight very fast. I have a family to look after.

If I continue to lose weight at this rate, I will be ill very soon.

What treatment is offered if you ask for it, or you are marched off to the doctors?

It is anorexia by the way.

adelicatequestion Sun 27-Sep-09 10:46:48

Hi ADQ here

I originally went to the GP with an ED and was referred to a psychiatrist who oversees my treatment but he organised for me to see a psychologist.

And I feel like I've been there ever since! 1 yr feling like not much was happening and then wham - it's all happening.

Make an appointment and see what the gp says. I saw a female doctor and she seemed a lot more sympathetic to what I needed than the male doctors I'd seen previously.

Good luck

ErikaMaye Sun 27-Sep-09 10:53:05

I second the suggestion of a female doctor. If you don't want to see "head doctors", I know some people don't, you could request a referal to a dietitian.

Do you have a list of safe foods?

ABitWrong Sun 27-Sep-09 11:03:40

I went to GP after much friendly nagging from friends.
They will keep an eye on your weight and your blood. I was referred to the Community Mental Health Team. I had to wait a few weeks before being assessed by a psych nurse. From there, my case was discussed and they decided to refer me on to a psychologist for more assessment.
They then decide on appropriate treatment/therapy.

Do go. Do you have a nice GP? Getting into a physically ropey state doesn't help yourstate of mind.
It isimportant to get to thebottom of why you are doing this. Maybe you do know and just need help to deal with it.

Goodluck.

ElieRM Sun 27-Sep-09 19:45:47

Your doctor should refer you to the availible counselling services in your area, where you should ahve your weight and bloods monitered, and you will probablt receive CBT.
You have done the hardest bit in admitting you have a problem.
I suffered from both anorexia and bulimia.
Recovery is a struggle, but it sounds like you are seeking help before the situation gets desperate, which is crucial. Do you have the support of your family and friends? This is important. Can they also seek some support to help you get better?

twoisplenty Sun 27-Sep-09 20:12:01

Thank you everyone. That makes me feel a bit better. I am already having therapy, although not originally for an ed. I have a ds with cerebral palsy and lots of other problems, and it all got too much to cope with. But during the course of therapy, I realised I have had an ed (mild) for years. I had anorexia when I was in my teens. I suppose what has happened is that having therapy has triggered this episode of anorexia because it is my way of coping with things that feel out of control.

The only problem is that every time I see my counsellor, I feel worse because my anxiety levels go through the roof.

Erikamaye - yes I do have a list of safe foods, and there are only 4 things on it. And they are from the same food group, so I am getting very few vitamins/minerals etc. (The foods are all bread related).

I really must push myself to eat something more nutritious, like fruit, I think I will try bananas. I can't stand anything juicy or any strong flavours.

My sister has made me buy a tonic from the chemist containing iron.

ElieRM - my sister is supportive. I will never tell my parents, because they are the reason I had the ed in the first place when I was younger (toxic parents).

twoisplenty Sun 27-Sep-09 20:14:07

ADQ - we are following each other around! Won't it be nice when we are not on mental health, but something much nicer?

ErikaMaye Sun 27-Sep-09 20:30:11

How about grapes? I found them easy and safe because they were so tiny, it didn't feel like I was eating much. Its what I've been mainly going on this week too (My anorexia has flared back up). Also - Hula Hoops! I don't know why, but they were always okay as well, again, possibly because of the size.

I'm sorry to hear about everything you've had to, and are having to, cope with. Try flipping the control factor around in your head - it words eventually. The control you get from choosing not to eat - you can get it by choosing to eat, if you follow me.

Always feel free to track me down if you want to talk

twoisplenty Sun 27-Sep-09 20:34:16

Thanks ErikaMaye. Bl*y anorexia, I wish it had never been invented! Hula hoops...nice! But not exactly full of vitamins either. I tried grapes, but too strong flavour. Really, I sound like a fussy child.

I understand your flipping the control thing. Tricky.

When your anorexia flares up, do you just let yourself get on with it, or try to fight it?

ErikaMaye Sun 27-Sep-09 22:46:56

I know what you mean... Hula Hoops are plain, one of the reasons I suggested them. Not fussy - ill, there's a difference

It is tricky... Some days I can't manage it.

I'm having to fight it at the moment - am 33 weeks pregnant. Still really struggling on some days. I stick to my safe foods for a few days, then try and get myself back into normal intake.

You have to fight these things, as much as you don't want to. Otherwise you stop living. I know how ill I was a while ago, and I don't want to go back there, as much as I miss it, if that makes sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now