Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

St John's Wort - yay or nay?

(7 Posts)
MrsMerryHenry Sat 26-Sep-09 09:01:35

I'm thinking of getting some for a friend to help lift his mood a bit so that he can hopefully start changing his life. There's a couple of us supporting him and I've heard about the benefits of St John's Wort so am wondering whether it's worth trying. I'll also suggest he sees a counsellor.

In case you're thinking of suggesting he goes to his GP, it's complex (too complex to explain), which is why I thought of trying St J W first.

castlesintheair Sat 26-Sep-09 09:04:19

I prefer 5HTP. Relora works well for anxiety/stress.

MrsMerryHenry Sat 26-Sep-09 09:07:52

What's that - homeopathic medicine? Anyway anxiety/ stress is not really relevant in this case.

nougat Sat 26-Sep-09 09:11:21

yay for st johns!

Take it regularly through the winter months as also excellent for SAD smile

muddle78 Sun 27-Sep-09 11:14:15

best st johns wart is only available from medical herbalist in tincture form. health food shop versions not so good imo.

MrsMerryHenry Sun 27-Sep-09 22:04:18

thanks for suggestion, muddle, that makes perfect sense. I know a good online retailer I could use for this.

BedofRosesItAintII Sun 27-Sep-09 22:07:59

worked for me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now