Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fluoxetine/Prozac

(16 Posts)
tethersend Fri 25-Sep-09 16:56:06

Are they the same thing?

Have just been prescribed for PND (dd is 10months), after many months of resisting ADs. I know I am not myself right now, but feel so sad about needing these.

I am also trying to shift baby weight (a whole 4st of it shock) and have lost a stone... I feel worried that they may make me put it back on, and then some.

Does anyone have positive experience of being on fluoxetine? Or just honest experience? Is it prozac?

My brain is so tired I feel like I can't make a proper decision about whether to go on them or not...

ErikaMaye Fri 25-Sep-09 17:32:12

Hiya, yep they're one and the same. They've been a total God-send to me, I hope you feel them just as helpful. The side affects might be a bit of a bitch to begin with, but stick with it. Don't feel bad if they don't help, there are plenty of other meds you can try instead - just go back to the doctors.

Don't feel ashamed or sad, keep your head high, and I'm glad you've found the strength to do the best thing for you, and ultimately, your DD, by going on them.

I've never put on any weight with ADs, and I've been on them several times, so don't worry about that. Congrats on your weight loss

Feel free to track me down any time if you need to talk. (sorry if this isn't very helpful right now, am in a bad place myself, but didn't want you to go unanswered.)

Stay strong. You've made the first difficult step towards recovery - I promise it gets easier from here. x

tethersend Fri 25-Sep-09 20:40:58

ErikaMaye, thanks for responding, and for kind offer of support smile

I know you're right. It's really good to hear something positive.

I took seroxat briefly about 10 years ago, and hated it. I think my judgement remains clouded by this.

I'm going to give them a go... fingers crossed!

Hope things get better for you too.

inthemistsoftime Fri 25-Sep-09 21:16:46

another fan of prozac here, I cant even remember any adverse side affects!

I must have been in a bad way!

I think that they have definitely helped me to cope with many a crap moment, don't be scared, they work.

good luck

tethersend Fri 25-Sep-09 21:43:44

Thanks smile

ErikaMaye Sat 26-Sep-09 17:27:53

I never had any side affects with Prozac either, but some people do. Citalopram was evil to me...

How are you feeling today OP?

Lostmykeys Sat 26-Sep-09 17:32:53

How do you take Prozac ladies? when you are having a crap moment or daily? I have finally summoned up the courage/energy to go to GP and have an appt on Monday. Was on Paroxetein a few years ago, but need something for my really low days which will lift me.

ErikaMaye Sat 26-Sep-09 17:47:35

Every day, for sure. Just like any medication, ADs take a while to get into your system. I'm so glad you've found the strength to go to the GP, its SO hard, I know.

Lostmykeys Sat 26-Sep-09 17:52:27

THanks for this - guess I was just hoping for a quicker fix now I have finally got myself to see the GP.

ErikaMaye Sat 26-Sep-09 17:58:44

Nothing is a quick fix, to be frank. It does take time, but not long. I'll be honest, the first two, maybe three, days on any AD make people feel low. After that, though, it seriously is up-hill. You might have to try different meds, and different doses, but its definately worth it. If you can, try and get booked in for some therapy too - its really helpful, especially if you're feeling bad about being on the meds (most people do).

Lostmykeys Sat 26-Sep-09 18:02:26

Did meds a few years ago and have managed with support and self help since. But have got into a rut and know that only meds will get me out of it, don;t know much about Prozac and was hoping from the thread that it was going to be my quick fix - underneath I know it will take time though. Thanks for your words you clearly understand the likes of me!!

tethersend Sat 26-Sep-09 18:09:26

Well, took my first one yesterday... and my head hasn't exploded or anything.

So far, so good smile

I think just knowing that I'm doing something about the PND is helping TBH.

Thanks again for the words of support Erikamaye.

ErikaMaye Sat 26-Sep-09 18:25:18

I wish there was a quick fix - a total Happy Pill!!! grin I've been on Prozac for a couple of years now. I stopped taking them for a few months when I found out I was pregnant but because of other things have had to go back on them. I still have down days, but I'm not as down, and that in itself is a relief. I can get out of bed and face the world, which I wasn't able to do before I went on them.

OP I'm glad you're feeling a little better - I know totally what you mean. I spent a long time beating myself up before I went on them, but once I actually started taking them, it was like admitting it was acceptable to be ill, and now I could recover. Am always about if you need to chat

GoldenSnitch Sat 26-Sep-09 18:37:43

I remember sobbing the first time I took a Prozac pill, it all seemed so massive and unsurmountable if it had gotten to Prozac!

Was on them from 19 to 26 on and off (mostly on) and I can say with absolute certainty that if I hadn't had them then I would never have found the strength to deal with the issues I had and I would probably be dead now rather than the generally happy person I am now.

They're definitely not a fix but they're a great crutch while your healing.

I'm in a good place now and would be happy to be here for you if you needed someone to chat to tethers...

parker1313 Fri 23-Oct-09 13:54:11

Iv been taking them for 12 days now.I dont feel any different at all apart from tired and a bit sick sometimes.
When will I feel someting positive?

shebear Fri 30-Oct-09 16:54:04

Hi I might be one of the people in the whole world who'se been taking Prozac for about 20 years .. it changed my life ... I actually enjoy my life now and have never had side-effects. I just wish I'd found Prozac before I messed up my two kids with my depression. My elder daughter (37 now) says that she doesn't like me being on them and if I'm that depressed I should be in therapy (she had it for 3 years). So I tried therapy but I think its all too deepseated and traumatic to talk it all through and get over it - so prefer the drugs.

Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now