Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Just had first panic attack in YEARS!

(5 Posts)
weegiemum Thu 24-Sep-09 11:31:30

Hi there,
I'm depressed, but a lot better than I have been!

I used (when I was in my 20s) to have panic attacks a lot but I got in control of them and haven't had one for years. I had a stressful teaching job, then 3 children, suffered pnd, variety of issues and never once felt that loss of control - until this morning!

I was doing a "child exchange" - as in swapping my dd1 for my friends dd2 for the day so little sisters could play together and big sisters at the other house (its an in-service here today). I had to walk to the station (10 mins), with my dd1, ds and dd2, get the train into town (8 mins), swap kids, get back on the train and walk home with my ds, dd2 and friends dd2.

In the station I had a massive hyperventilation fit just after my friend had left. I had to swiftly give the children a doughnut (I had just bought them for an afternoon treat) and then sit and breathe into my hands for 5 minutes till I got under control.

Then I came home and am now shaking but controlled.

I have no idea what triggered it and am feeling quite thrown.

Please come and tell me it will be ok!

blissa Thu 24-Sep-09 11:44:59

Oh weegiemum it will be ok.

Panic attacks can come out of the blue, I am sorry this has happened to you this morning.

You did very well to control it and with 3 children in tow!

Is there anything that has been worrying you?

weegiemum Thu 24-Sep-09 12:09:57

I have a few things going on right now - we are planning a fairly major relocation in the next 18 months and yesterday had some good news about it (don't want to say too much more here) and I suppose that could have shaken things up a bit ....

I'm getting back to normal after a pretty severe episode of depression and just in the last couple of weeks things have got really good and I have felt like "me" again.

Deep breaths and no panicing, I will be fine!!

blissa Thu 24-Sep-09 13:09:43

Sorry had to go and pick ds up from pre-school.

Sounds like you have a lot on, maybe it was just a build up?

Hope you're feeling ok now

weegiemum Thu 24-Sep-09 15:03:33

My dh has managed to get out of work early today, so is coming home at 4pm (he is a real star!!!).

So I don't have to do the station run again to swap back, I can relax.

I had some diazepam from not sleeping last year with the depression in the cabinet so I took one and that has helped.

Calm... cool .... collected!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now