Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What time of day do you take your ADs?

(6 Posts)
littlepollyflinders Wed 16-Sep-09 20:00:51

This is my 4th time on ADs and always took them in the morning as soon as I woke up.
I was on Citalopram and always had 1 or 2 weeks of weirdness - vivid dreaming, palpitations etc.
I've just been given Prozac and started taking them early evening. It's now a week and I haven't had a single adverse side effect grin.

Just wondered what others experiences are - and whether it's the time of day or the different pill.
I should also add that gp prescribed to try and help with menopausal flushes and although I'm not depressed as such, I was having terrible emotional mood swings and crying a lot, which seems to have calmed down.
So I was wondering/developing a theory hmm that maybe reactions/side effects actually depend on the symptoms?

ErikaMaye Wed 16-Sep-09 22:10:49

Some people just react differently to different medications. I never got on with Citalopram, but Prozac - litterally - saved my life. I had terrible reactions on Citalopram; had the dreams, the rapid heart beat, my panic was increased, total lack of sex drive... If anything it made me worse.

I hope you find the Prozac helpful I also take mine first thing, by the way.

CrackWhoretoPaulDacre Wed 16-Sep-09 22:15:17

If there's a GI side-effect I always get it. So when adjusting to citalopram I took them in the evening, so I could sleep through the morning-sickness-style feelings. Took prozac eons ago though, and don't actually remember much adjustment - maybe it's a nicer drug?

Dlamis Wed 16-Sep-09 22:23:52

The doctor should've told you when to take them. I have been on 2 different AD's, one had to be taken at night, one in the morning. Don't know if it makes any difference to symptoms though

laurajess Wed 23-Sep-09 21:12:08

i'm on sertraline and my doc told me to take them before bed cos they help you sleep. (although the baby crying in the middle of the night negates this effect lol)
i'm guessing it depends on the kind of drug and the side effects they can have on you.

Rumpel Wed 23-Sep-09 21:19:31

I take citalopram too - I am a vivid dreamer anyway and just thought it was that but now that you mention it since I started them again the dreams have been very memorable, I also get achey teeth/jaw and felt a bit nauseous at the beginning. I take mine in the morning too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now