Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Hallejuah!! I have finally found out what my problem is!!

(4 Posts)
BigMomma3 Sat 12-Sep-09 20:38:02

I have finally realised after more than 25 years at least that I have OCD!! I have been depressed and down for just about as long as I can remember and finally started taking Prozac 2 weeks ago as I have also been suffering from panic attacks and stress related lightheadness and admitted to myself that I can't struggle on with it any longer.

Before this I have had hypnotherapy which was a complete waste of 10 x £60 a pop sessions shock and still could not figure what the hell was going on with my brain!

Anyway a few days ago, I was looking through the 'No More Panic' webite and I had a revelation! I have Pure OCD, which basically means obsessional thoughts about something happening to kids, DH or me etc and I panic about everything. I think this goes back even further into my childhood as I can remember not letting anyone sit on my bed in case they creased it and I could not have been more than about 8 then shock.

Apparently the only thing that can help with OCD is CBT and/or SSRIs so I will definitely keep on with the Prozac (which I was thinking of stopping because it has been making my anxiety worse but I will keep trying on it for a few more weeks) and I will go back to the docs on Monday and insist they put me on the CBT list (GP would not do it before as he said the list was too long hmm) or ask him to refer me privately depending on the cost.

The relief of knowing that I am not a freak or evil or even completely fucked up is wonderful (actually people with Pure OCD are said to be very sensitive and loving that is why they panic about it). I have suffered with for most of my life (and it has completely ruined it) and I have now decided that I will bloody well deal with it and move on smile. I got some excellent books from the library today which describe me to a T and are very reassuring. Anyone else have this and can share their experiences??

TotalChaos Sat 12-Sep-09 20:43:43

Imp of the Mind (Silent Epidemic of Obsessive Thoughts) by Lee Baer is very good on this subject, and reasonably priced via amazon. You don't need GP to refer you, I did it myself, and found someone very good via the babcp website. Having said that, I think it would be wise for you to see GP and discuss the OCD issue with him, just in case he has any different thoughts to you about the correct diagnosis. 2 weeks is a very short time on an AD such as prozac, as it can take you 2 weeks to get over the initial side effects, and up to 6 weeks to start working, so think you are right to bear with it a while longer.

kittywise Sat 12-Sep-09 20:47:14

prozac made me far more anxious for the first couple of weeks. I'm fine nowsmile

BigMomma3 Sat 12-Sep-09 20:54:59

Thanks TC. I will def order that book. I wish I had been told about the side effects when the Prozac was prescribed angry so I knew what to expect. Now I know it's completely normal (was pretty terrified at first, thought it making me even more loony) and I have to be patient smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now