Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline - increasing dose from 50mg to 100mg.

(4 Posts)
FourArms Sat 12-Sep-09 08:05:13

I went to the GP yesterday for a review of my prescription. I'm currently struggling to sleep as things keep going round and round in my head. I've also noticed that my temper has become shorter of late, (esp when trying to get the DSs to bed (nightmare at moment). DH has been away for 3 weeks now, and isn't expected home before Christmas. The GP suggested upping the dose to 100mg, but unsure if this is a good thing. Any one else had experience of what happens when you up the dose?

Also, if I did do it, would I take 100mg or 50mg in morning and evening. Evenings are my worst time, and this is just before I'm due to take my next dose at the moment. I wonder if this has something to do with it, or if evenings are just a stressful time anyway (!) hmm

I'm currently trying to lose weight at the moment as well, do you think this will help or hinder that?

TotalChaos Sat 12-Sep-09 08:09:36

many years ago when I was upped from 50mg to 100mg, the increase in dosage made me feel a bit sleepy - so I went back down again. however if you are struggling to sleep then you might see this side-effect (if you get it) as a good thing! I took the 100mg at one time. Sertraline doesn't have that short a half-life so wouldn't have thought that it would wear off that quickly that you would feel ropey before the next dose. I don't think it will have much effect either way on dieting, though if it helps you feel better then you are more likely to eat more healthily.

IdrisTheDragon Sat 12-Sep-09 08:25:19

When I took sertaline I took 50mg for a couple of weeks, which didn't do much for me - so I went up to 100mg. I took it in the evening as it tended to make me feel sick and I found it helped.

When I started taking it I was 3 months pregnant with DD so weightloss wasn't really happening so I don't know about that side of things.

Hope you are feeling more like "you" soon.

FourArms Sat 12-Sep-09 08:40:08

The GP yesterday said that it only lasted in your system for 24 hours, which is what made me think about it 'running out' so to speak. However, he also prescribed me something else to stop my period (going on holiday, due on the day I fly), and said to take it 7 days before I fly, but the instructions in the packet say 3 days, so maybe he was a bit out on the sertraline too! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now