Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I have my first therapy session tomorrow

(18 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 07-Sep-09 19:20:42

Feels strange when I have had a good few days.

adelicatequestion Mon 07-Sep-09 22:27:57

Go anyway. I have up and down days, but going always gives me something to think about and sometimes I feel better coming out than going in!

Hope it all goes ok.

ErikaMaye Mon 07-Sep-09 23:29:33

Hope it goes well Its always worth going when you're feeling good too, and actually if you've had a good few days, its possibly the most ideal time to start, as you will be thinking clearly when you meet them properly.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 08-Sep-09 08:19:04

My stomach is a bit knotty this morning.

ErikaMaye Tue 08-Sep-09 12:08:43

Bound to be - I have my first session with my new therapist on Thursday and I'm so nervous!!! But you can do this, and it will help you in the long run.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 08-Sep-09 12:15:21

I am back.

Honestly I am not sure where she is going with this at all and I get the feeling she is a bit out of her depth with what has happened to me.

ErikaMaye Tue 08-Sep-09 12:41:46

Yeah I remember that feeling... Give it a few sessions though, once you get to know her, and she becomes more familiar with your "case" you might find the relationship works better. Well done for going. x

adelicatequestion Tue 08-Sep-09 16:32:30

I remember being very confused and feeling like they didn;t really have a plan for my recovery, but later found out that what they were doing at the beginning was the right thing.

One of my issues was trust and I found it hard to trust that they knew what they were doing, but they did.

Give it some time and share every concern with them. As my confidecne grew I started to question why they were doing things and why I didn;t feel I was getting better and they saw that as a positive!

Well done for getting on the rollercoaster.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 08-Sep-09 16:37:23

I have to go back next week.

Is therapy just about having a sounding board and some how talking to them helps you work things out in your head? If so, that isn't what I need as I already know I am the way I am and need to find a way to accept what happened happened to me and not another little girl.

I hate having to do all this. sadangry

ErikaMaye Tue 08-Sep-09 16:57:14

What type of therapy is it, Fab?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 08-Sep-09 17:04:05

I don't know really.

I talk, she listens and then says the odd thing.

ErikaMaye Tue 08-Sep-09 17:05:03

I mean like... Is it councelling or CBT or what?

ErikaMaye Tue 08-Sep-09 17:05:30

Or what type of therapist is she? Counceller, OT, CPN etc.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 08-Sep-09 17:07:49

She is a Psychotherapist.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 08-Sep-09 17:08:51

She wants me to have group therapy but I really don't want to do that at all.

ErikaMaye Tue 08-Sep-09 17:10:48

Group therapy isn't actually too bad. We had it once a week in my physc. unit, and was quite a relief to get it all off my chest, and get used to talking to people, but also to hear that I wasn't the only person having these "bad" feelings. Stopped me feeling so guilty. It might be worth considering.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 08-Sep-09 17:19:58

I went to a group self help meeting and one lady took a real dislike to me and I decided not to go as I seemed to be causing her upset and stress.

ErikaMaye Tue 08-Sep-09 17:22:53

Yes I changed groups once when I was attending a self harm one... The girl was a bitch to me and I couldn't be dealing with it!! So can understand why you'd be hesitant. But don't let it put you off this - therapy in a group is different from self help meetings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now