Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do you pick yourself up when you are feeling down?

(10 Posts)
Sparkler Tue 01-Sep-09 22:40:18

I have suffered with depression over the years and been on ADs and had counselling. Hopefully I've come through the worst of it now - haven't taken any AD's now for almost a year smile.
Still have the occasional bumpy day (who doesn't? smile but I have noticed a bit of a pattern in my mood and am finding that a week before my period is due I feel quite low.
Just wondered if anyone feels this way and how you get through it.
TIA

Starbear Tue 01-Sep-09 22:56:13

I allow one day of being a slob. Near the end of the day I make a simple 'to do list' nothing especial just get my act together. Make beds, cook meal clean bath. I feel better in a clean house.
I like being kind to other people, it cheers me up. Fixing to go out with very good friends help too Those friends that don't judge you and you can go out in a a yukky fleece and jogging bottoms type friends.
Country walks with my ds and sister works wonders mainly because she's been their too!

Snorbs Wed 02-Sep-09 09:21:28

Ideally I'd arrange to meet up with friends but if nothing else I force myself to get out of the house to go for a long walk and/or a swim.

Sparkler Wed 02-Sep-09 12:11:22

Thanks guys. It's that time for me at the moment and I need to find things to help myself. Am meeting up with friends this afternoon and it's a struggle to get motivated to go. I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I get there.

Starbear Thu 03-Sep-09 09:04:12

Did you have a nice time?smile

Sparkler Fri 04-Sep-09 20:43:09

Didn't go in the end - rain stopped play unfortunately.

Sparkler Fri 04-Sep-09 20:43:46

.......thanks for asking though smile

lucylue Sat 05-Sep-09 00:02:38

i think its the school holidays that make us down a bit.
when the schools start it will be better.
we are always around the children, its nice but tiring physically and mentally.

lost4words Sun 06-Sep-09 08:29:04

Sparkler - I get like this, too. It took a while to work out that it's linked to my cycle, though! At one stage I'd been living my life in a state of constant anxiety, worrying about every little thing. So once I'd got over the worst of that, it came as a shock when I had bad days and the anxiety overwhelmed me again.

Now I recognise my own signs, I allow myself a bit of time to wallow and wait for my hormones to stabilise (it really isn't "them", it's me! smile). For instance, I tend not to take the initiative in arranging to do anything with other people because if it has to be cancelled (even because of illness!), the feelings of rejection are magnified.

FWIW my advice is to be kind to yourself on your "off" days, do something just for you (even if that is staying at home and doing nothing) and remind yourself that you're not always like this. You know for yourself what signs you're looking out for. You can take positive steps to work through them and come out the other side.

Sparkler Mon 07-Sep-09 22:17:03

Thankyou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now