Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline and affect on baby?

(2 Posts)
Littlejo26 Tue 01-Sep-09 19:38:12

I have just been prescribed 50mg of Sertraline, I plucked up the courage to seek help. I asked for help from the Dr last year but the Dr back then wouldnt prescribe me any Anti D's cos I was breastfeeding, he told me I needed to stop breastfeeding if he was to prescribe me anything!!

Anyway in the meantime I had another baby and didnt wanna take anything whilst pregnant, but Im still on a low and know im still depressed, so off I went to the Drs today. I think she's put me on the lowest dose but im really worried about what effects it might have on my 6 week old baby?

Has anyone who has taken sertraline noticed any difference in their babies once they started on it??

thanks in advance!

Rones Tue 01-Sep-09 21:42:44

hello - just seen your post by chance... I was put on Sertraline when my dd was about 9 weeks old so not long after you...my doctor did lots of research into it and was very confident that there would be no ill effects for my dd as I also breastfed till dd was 11 months old. I think I took ADs for about 6 months (I really can't remember!) and she is a happy and healthy 16 month old. I really don't think they have had any bad effects and I feel I made the right choice to help me cope and keep on breastfeeding...

I hope this offers you some reassurance. Good luck in your decision and hope you feel better soon.

p.s - I am about to go back on ADs so try not to come off them too quickly....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now