Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

A Self-Help Manuel for Anxiety and Depression

(7 Posts)
MrsEricBanaMT Mon 31-Aug-09 12:22:49

Just wanted to post this resource. You can print it up and use it properly if you feel you need to. This is what we use in our Primary Care Trust. It's self help CBT.

www.gp-training.net/pal/mentalhealth/doc/shade.doc

Paranoid1stTimer Tue 01-Sep-09 22:46:02

Just wanted to say thanks again for this post. It it really great to have this to hand.

Dalrymps Tue 01-Sep-09 22:56:15

Thanks for this, really useful smile

MrsEricBanaMT Tue 01-Sep-09 23:03:04

No probs. It is an official NHS handout

MrsEricBanaMT Tue 01-Sep-09 23:17:15

I think the thing that's great about this - but will make it seem unpopular at first - is that it is a self help manual. People in the throes of depression feed off attention, negative or positive, although it usually all becomes negative eventually.

Depressed people can get defensive if they are told to help themselves. They take it as a desertion. It's all part of the way depression makes narcissists or solipsists of us all - traits that are very dull and eventually very annoying!

But basically it is only you that can do this. You can get help along the way, but you can't be carried forever. This booklet is a really good start in that. Getting back to emotional independence instead of dependance - or in some cases reaching emotional independance for the first time.

The second thing I like about it is that it gets you to try and identify the problem. I know from experience you can have a few epiphanies about this, think you have it, but actually you are just getting closer to it. This is what I mean about making time your friend in the process of beating depression. Nothing is revealed all at once.

<can you see me here in my smoking jacket waxing lyrical about the black dog? can you? I am such a tosser grin>

LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 01-Sep-09 23:21:05

Thanks mrseric, have saved just in case smile

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 02-Sep-09 08:44:44

mrseric totally agree, but it helps them to see how and thats the bit that really struggle with.

Thanks for this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now