Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I am trying to just breathe calmly. Will anybody talk to me?

(82 Posts)
ABitWrong Fri 21-Aug-09 22:02:37

About anything. Just need distraction.
Please and thank you.

ShowOfHands Fri 21-Aug-09 22:05:05

I can talk to you. Do you have the radio on? Television? Terrible, awful film on here with lots of pretty young things looking far too young and pretty.

ABitWrong Fri 21-Aug-09 22:06:21

Thanks. No, no telly or radio. Just meand thelaptop.

ABitWrong Fri 21-Aug-09 22:07:10

I think my son waswatching something terribleand awful that he shouldn't havebeen.

ShowOfHands Fri 21-Aug-09 22:07:17

When I was little (that sounds patronising doesn't it?!) and I had nightmares my Dad used to tell me to imagine I was going on a picnic or having a dinner party and make a mental list of what food I would want. I like lists. I like food. Worked well.

Deep breaths in and out.

So... starter? Prawn cocktail or melon balls? smile

ABitWrong Fri 21-Aug-09 22:08:40

melon balls

ABitWrong Fri 21-Aug-09 22:09:24

picnic or dinner party?

piprabbit Fri 21-Aug-09 22:09:50

Prawn Balls?

(sorry for lowering the tone - had takeaway for tea yum).

ShowOfHands Fri 21-Aug-09 22:09:57

Do you like the night sky? Have you seen the stars tonight? Beautiful and calming.

Are you still breathing deeply? Try and keep yourself relaxed. Loosen your shoulders and your hands, make yourself untense.

SemperEadem Fri 21-Aug-09 22:11:14

Do you think you are having a panic attack? I used to suffer terribly from these. This may sound like a daft idea but what used to help me regulate my breathing was to get a large glass of water and sip at regular intervals. When panicking, you take shorter breaths which makes it worse and drinking a sip of water every 2 sceonds or so helps to regulate it.

My starter would be garlic mushrooms.....

ShowOfHands Fri 21-Aug-09 22:11:27

Picnic or dinner party, prawns have no place at either. Pesky little freaks they are. Eugh. All eyes and pinkness.

Dinner party...

Main course? What about steak? Nobody likes it when I cook it though as I'm paranoid so can't leave it pink in the middle.

ABitWrong Fri 21-Aug-09 22:11:45

I wouln't eat any creaturesballs. Yuk. Besides, i am veggie.

Quite cloudy here.

Oh, shoulders, yes. They were all hunched up.

ShowOfHands Fri 21-Aug-09 22:13:41

Ooh garlic mushrooms.

<<drool>>

Have you eaten this evening OP? A glass of water is a very good idea too. I've had panic attacks and found feeling less exposed help so wrapping in a blanket or hugging a pillow.

Keep breathing.

I'm so hungry. Food lists might have been a bad idea.

ABitWrong Fri 21-Aug-09 22:13:50

Yes quitepanicky. Breathing and heart.

Garlicmushrooms good too.

Nut roast?

Whatabout soup? I likebutternut squash. Or lentil.

ABitWrong Fri 21-Aug-09 22:15:02

I ate 3 chocolate sandwiches this evening. Not good.

I am in bed so feel quite safe physically but my legs are a bit shivery.

ShowOfHands Fri 21-Aug-09 22:15:24

Oops no steak for a veggie. Wild mushroom risotto? My dh makes a corking wild mushroom risotto. He makes a lot of mess too. Less endearing.

ABitWrong Fri 21-Aug-09 22:16:47

Ooh, risotto sounds good. Are the mushrooms very wild? Is it dairy-free [awkward]

sazzlelou Fri 21-Aug-09 22:17:44

I had the nicest butternut squash soup at my brother wedding last week, first time i'd tried it!
Lovely!

Can you search for some nonsensicle videos on youtube?
I used to watch the ones that people put together of tv couples best bit when I was panicky at university

piprabbit Fri 21-Aug-09 22:18:43

I always do something a bit cheating like lasagne - which I can bung in the oven and not faff with.

I do tend to get distracted with chatting, so need to keep it simple.

SemperEadem Fri 21-Aug-09 22:19:01

Well this may not be very classy as a main course (I am veggie too) but it would have to be some sort of veggie curry. Ooh vegetable madras, I love veg madras (am looking forward to our Sat night takeaway).

Can I second the radio/background noise thing? Or is it one of those where the sound of anything feels like its going a million times an hour?

ShowOfHands Fri 21-Aug-09 22:19:11

Chocolate sandwiches cover at least 2 food groups. <<shrug>>

Parsnip soup. Curried parsnip soup even better. Sounds terrible, tastes lovely.

OP when you've calmed down a bit and feel in control, put the laptop to one side, cuddle down, carry on breathing and try to sleep.

Don't forget the mental health guide at the top of the page if you need somebody real to talk to.

Okay, so you're a veggie. I've got the most enormous marrow in my veg box this week. What shall I do with it? Free marrow to the first person with an obvious rude suggestion.

ABitWrong Fri 21-Aug-09 22:19:29

I am not very good at watching things sazzlelou. My brain gets restless and I want to pace. But thanks.

ShowOfHands Fri 21-Aug-09 22:20:36

Very wild mushrooms. Can do non-dairy too for fussy ones. grin

ShowOfHands Fri 21-Aug-09 22:21:39

How long till we're talking puddings then?

ABitWrong Fri 21-Aug-09 22:21:43

Wish all my dcs would eat easy stuff likelasagne. They tend to be suspicious of composite meals.

Veg curry yes if not too hot [wuss]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now