Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Counselling in a few wks.What should I expect?

(9 Posts)
parker1313 Thu 20-Aug-09 21:00:42

Never been before what should I expect?

MissisBoot Thu 20-Aug-09 21:08:30

what type is it?

parker1313 Fri 21-Aug-09 10:22:59

Just basic at my surgery.

Redazzy Fri 21-Aug-09 11:19:00

It will really depend on what type of counselling it is. I think NHS counselling tends to be Cognitive Behavioural usually. The first session will be very much about gathering information about you and why you are there and the changes you want in your life. The counsellor should then explain how the future sessions will work and what you can hope to achieve. I wish you the very best and hope you have a great experience.

parker1313 Sat 22-Aug-09 21:42:43

What actually is cbt?

DippyDino Sun 23-Aug-09 20:01:13

I think it's where you look at what your issues / problems are now, and then look at where they stem from in your past experinces.

I finally plucked up the courage to go to my doctor and ask for counselling about 8 months ago. I've finished now and I can honestly say that with my counsellors help I have totally changed my life in ways I never would have believed possible.

Now I can be truly happy.

Don't think of it as 'just basic' there are excellent counsellors working for the NHS. You will recieve fantastic help, I'm sure.

It will be hard work but it will be worth it.

LylaB Mon 24-Aug-09 15:50:50

I love therapy - particularly CBT. It's changed my life.

Make sure you find the right therapist though ... I have tried several and it's only because I have now had amazing care - that I realise how awful some were.

If you don't feel comfortable or don't click - change the therapist.

Good luck.

8-)

HelensMelons Mon 24-Aug-09 19:04:22

CBT is a type of counselling/therapy that is psycho-educational - you work with the therapist collaboratively. It's about challenging our irrational thoughts and believes (for example,I'm crap, I'm a rubbish mum, etc) and learning new strategies to manage situations/lives better. It is a short term therapy normally between 6 - 8 sessions, some counsellors will see you for 10 though it depends x

parker1313 Tue 01-Sep-09 18:49:52

I went today and it was ok.
I dont know what I thought about it really.
I cant afford to pay for it so I think I have to get what Im given at my surgery.
I cant get reffered to the mental health team as Im not suffering from anxiety or depression.I just want to go over somethings that have happened to my dad recently.A way of getting it all out of my head in order before I do prob end up with mental health issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now