Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How long can I stay on valium?

(11 Posts)
sarah293 Tue 04-Aug-09 09:53:11

Message withdrawn

LilRedWG Tue 04-Aug-09 09:57:11

No advice I'm afraid Riven, but couldn't let your post go by without answering. Will he not discuss other meds with you as an alternative?

I've only ever taken Valium when my back went into spasm and my GP would only give me a three day supply.

sarah293 Tue 04-Aug-09 10:33:31

Message withdrawn

mosschops30 Tue 04-Aug-09 10:40:31

riven, diazepam is not routinely given now due to the fact that its highly addictive. Its good for short term use (such as muscle spasms or for phobic flyers etc) but not long term as there are many more suitable drugs out there than this which is quite an 'old' drug and not distributed like it was years ago (my mother has been taking it since 1973 hmm)

I know life is hard for you, and no your GP does not know what its like, and neither do I but tranquilisers are not the way forward.

Go back to your GP and discuss other options for medications, also, and I hope you dont mind me saying, but you always appear angry on threads (or ones Ive noticed anyway), could you get some kind of counselling or more help for you and you family.
Im not saying this to be patronising, believe me I know its hard to find help out there and its not always good help. Just thought it might be an option

morningpaper Tue 04-Aug-09 10:49:14

What mosschops said really. Valium is a sedative which is highly addictive and causes tolerance - i.e. requires higher and higher doses over time. It can be very very hard to wean yourself off and withdrawal can be severe and shocking, causing a 'rebound anxiety' which is far more terrifying than the anxiety you were trying to escape in the first place...

Really it should only be prescribed for 'emergency' situations or specific situations such as flying - people DO take it long-term for its purely sedative effects but usually as part of a cocktail of cosh-like drugs including Special Brew... If your GP prescribed it for anxiety then he should have done so as a last resort while 'bridging' you onto a more long-term solution for your anxiety such as counselling or CBT.

Three weeks on diazepam is quite a lot and your GP needs to put together a proper care-plan for you.

lowrib Tue 04-Aug-09 10:49:40

Valium is highly addictive, and can actually be really dangerous to withdraw from.

You can get addicted in a few weeks.

Unfortunately, your GP is right not to give you any more. They used to give it out like sweeties, and many people - particularly women - now have long term Valium addictions.

I saw my uncle withdrawing from it and it wasn't pretty. The last thing you need right now is an addiction.

I don't know anything about Prozac I'm afraid.

Riven, I'm really sorry to hear you are having such a hard time, my heart goes out to you.

Can the Dr offer anything else other than Prozac and Valium?

MitchyInge Tue 04-Aug-09 10:56:16

there are alternative (non benzo) anxiolytics which can be helpful, such as beta-blockers (eg propranolol)although people do stay on valium and its relatives quite long-term

some anti-depressants are better than others for anxiety, anxiety and depression go hand in hand after all -

or there are the 'major tranquilisers' but they might be a bit heavy duty, am not sure if they are prescribed in this situation though

obviously don't overlook emotional support from wherever you can get it - are there any peer support type groups (perhaps online) you can hook up with, just so you are less alone?

am sorry you are going through this though, have been in lesser but vaguely related situation and was drugged up to the hilt (altho just big increase in long-term medications) throughout

it may well be normal to be in a state of acute anxiety and distress for these circumstances but we still have to function - it's normal to be in pain when you have suffered a physical trauma but few people advocate self-help alone

sarah293 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:43:47

Message withdrawn

Thandeka Tue 04-Aug-09 12:23:49

Have to say I disagree with Mosschops. I don't think you are angry in your posts Riven- I am always in awe of how together and sorted you seem in your posts and you are lovely and helpful.

Erm I don't have anything helpful to say on the meds front but just had to post that.
Sorry things are so rough at the min.
xxx

MitchyInge Tue 04-Aug-09 12:27:43

yes, please try to eat regularly even if it's just a banana or a bit of toast - and sleep if/when you can

this is really banal advice but I almost want to write it on my hand at times because it's too easy to forget

LilRedWG Tue 04-Aug-09 13:04:54

I've found that Citalopram is much better for anxiety and panic than Prozac.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now