Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Has anybody ever actually gone to A&E because they were suicidal or just not coping?

(266 Posts)
ABitWrong Mon 03-Aug-09 18:36:12

What do they do? Do they let you go? Do they involve SS?

ABitWrong Mon 03-Aug-09 18:40:55

please can somebody tell me

nickschick Mon 03-Aug-09 18:41:55

oh hun i dont know, maybe talking on here will help you

nickschick Mon 03-Aug-09 18:42:11


makedoandmend Mon 03-Aug-09 18:45:24

I haven't - but if no one on here knows the Samaritans will probably know what exactly would happen - have you thought of ringing them - they really will do whatever they can to help.

Are you asking for yourself ABitWrong?

ABitWrong Mon 03-Aug-09 18:46:05

yes i feel really bad

scoutandjem Mon 03-Aug-09 18:46:25

I'm sorry I don't know. When I have been down I have called the Samatians and they have been great. S x

DjangoTheDjinn Mon 03-Aug-09 18:49:28


makedoandmend Mon 03-Aug-09 18:50:14

Can you talk about it ABW?

here - you can email or phone.

Do you think you can give them a call. I've phoned them before they're fantastic - really really great.

TrinityRhinoIsInDetention Mon 03-Aug-09 18:51:55

please ring the samaritans abitwrong


ABitWrong Mon 03-Aug-09 18:52:02

I do email them but it is so slow

am sitting here trying to act normal for the children, I can't phone

makedoandmend Mon 03-Aug-09 18:53:13

You can't phone because the children are in the room or because you don't have a phone?

ABitWrong Mon 03-Aug-09 18:53:25

I don't know if I am going to fall apart

ABitWrong Mon 03-Aug-09 18:54:14

can't phone because i am with the children

DjangoTheDjinn Mon 03-Aug-09 18:56:39

Do you have any friends or family nearby? Can you resolve to ring the GP in the morning and tackle this and then find a way through tonight?

Do you have a partner?

How long until the children go to bed? Could they go early with a book or a dvd or something?

Winetimeisfinetime Mon 03-Aug-09 18:56:55

I'm not sure about ss as children weren't involvement but mny brother attempted suicide and was taken to hospital by a friend and was seen by the Crisis Mental Health Team. I don't know what they did but he refused further intervention and they let him go home.

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling so bad ABitWrong - I hope you can get some help and start to feel better. If you are feeling suicidal and need urgent attention then do please go to a&e. Getting immediate help is more important than anything else.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 03-Aug-09 18:58:24

To answer your original OP I have never been to A&E because I felt suicidal, but I have been to A&E to assess patients who are suicidal (I am a mental health nurse)

Basically they should arrange for a psychiatrist or mental health nurse to see you and offer you an assessment. Generally speaking the outcome depends on what you actually say to them and how you feel.

For example, for a lot of people they need extra support which can be arranged through the mh services. It is fairly rare for ss to be called. Obviously if a parent was saying that they intended to go and harm the children or had harmed them etc then appropriate action would be taken.

If a patient says that they are actively suicidal this will be explored. The psychiatrist needs to assess if the person is able to take responsibility for their decisions or if due to their mental health they need further support/hospital admission etc.

makedoandmend Mon 03-Aug-09 18:58:58

What time do the children go to bed ABW. Is there anyone who could come over for a bit to help you until you can phone in privacy?

If you fall apart you will be able to pick yourself up again. I know it probably feels like if you start to unwravel you won't be able to stop, but you will. Believe me I've done it.

cupofteaplease Mon 03-Aug-09 18:59:37

Please do go to A&E- they will help you. My darling sister attempted suicide- thankfully she survived, and SS weren't involved, even though she was a single parent. Please seek help ASAP- your children love you x

skybright Mon 03-Aug-09 19:00:13

Hi ABitWrong. Sorry that your feeling so crap.

I f you go to A and E because you are feeling suicidal you will be seen and assessed either by a Doctor or a nurse from a mental health assessment team.

I am not sure were you live but when you are assessed there are usually a few options that you could decide together what would help you best.

Sometimes (dependant on your area) there are Intensive Home Treatment Teams which are an alternative to hospital for people going through crisis,consultant ,nurses and OT's make up these teams and would visit you in your home on a daily or twice daily time. You would be prescribed any medication that might be helpful and they will refer to any other help you might need.

Another alternative is a stay in a hospital which is usually not as bad as it seems,you would get a lot of support and help.

The assessment service could refer you to less intensive community nurses or ask you to go to your GP as soon as possible.

You are obviously really worried about SS,if you can try and think of it this way,lots and lots of people feel suicidal at times. It does not matter if you are 60 or 16,have 10 kids or none,you are ill and you need to be seen and helped.

In my experience a referel to SS would be discussed with the person and this would actually usually be on the request of the person to enable them to access some support and help.

No one would want to do anything but help and support you...honestly you don't need to go on like this,please get some help.x

onepieceoflollipop Mon 03-Aug-09 19:00:33

I would advise telephoning your local mental health unit/hospital and asking for the contact numbers for the out of hours crisis team. (services vary slightly from area to area but they will know what you mean)

It might be more helpful to you to speak to a professional on the phone first rather than the disruption of going to A&E as a first port of call?

I know you are saying that it is difficult to phone, but I imagine it will be even more difficult logistically speaking to get to A&E?

makedoandmend Mon 03-Aug-09 19:00:40

sorry x posted

skybright Mon 03-Aug-09 19:04:00

If you want to speak on here,we would listen.

TrinityRhinoIsInDetention Mon 03-Aug-09 19:04:26

where do you live?
I would come and help you

Faigle Mon 03-Aug-09 19:04:35

I felt like that the other day.
I phoned someone I could trust,talked to them until I calmed down.I took some valium too(on their suggesstion) which really helped-you probably don't have any though.
Is there anyone you trust enough to phone,and just tell how you are feeling who could even come round and sit with you.

I know how you feel.I was there not long ago.

Where do you live?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now