Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Mental health experts?

(2 Posts)
parker1313 Wed 29-Jul-09 10:25:33

Do I have the right to request for my mum to have a mental health assessment without her consent?

AMumInScotland Wed 29-Jul-09 15:15:37

Hi, I believe that if you are her next of kin, then you can ask for her to be assessed under the mental health act, to decide if she needs to be "sectioned", ie compulsorily detained.

This link to MIND gives more details. Two doctors would have to agree that she needs to be assessed.

If you think her mental health is causing her to be a risk to herself or others, then I think the best thing would be to start by talking to her doctor if you can, or your own doctor, for advice on how you go about it.


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: