Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can anyone help me a little more with my DBIL, further developments and a link to previous thread for anyone who hasn't a clue what i'm on about.

(5 Posts)
idranktheteaatwork Tue 21-Jul-09 13:58:42

link here

Hi,

well after the drama of Sunday morning we let DBIL sleep for a while. When he woke he was still off kilter, not really making too much sense but not nearly as bad as he had been.

The BT police turned up later on, he has been charged with (and i am aware i may not have the right terms here) trespass, delaying/obstructing a train and something else but am not sure what. It is something to do with running up the tracks.

It transpires that DBIL had actually jumped in front of the train but another commuter had grabbed his jacket/backpack so he didn't go under although the train still caught him. This kind of makes sense because his arm and leg on one side are purple and both his legs are shredded. He then ran away from the people trying to help him and got onto the tracks, the trains had to be stopped as he was running up and down the track.

The police gave him an utter rollicking by all accounts, he had to go to the station to be charged etc. He has been bailed to go back in 5 weeks.

He is saying he has no memory of this and is very cross with us as he thinks that the whole story has been made up.
Before he tried to jump he had been verbally abusing random people on the train etc, shouting at one poor bloke that he was going to stab him (as in the bloke was going to stab DBIL) and that everyone hates him, wants him dead etc.

He is showing (i think) signs of extreme paranoia. He thinks that he simply went out, had a couple of drinks and went home, accidentally falling over and concussing himself.He thinks that we are cross and telling lies because we didn't want to be bothered going to the hospital.
According to the doctor in a and e he wasn't concussed, he hadn't banged his head at all. They did do an MRI scan as his behaviour was so odd, I don't know what they were looking for as it has been difficult to get a full explanation from anyone. I can understand why, data protection etc etc but it is making it very hard to piece together what has been going on.

The police said that they knew he had tried to jump because of the cctv footage.

He has gone home now, we can't force him to stay here but i do think that he needs help. My plan was to get him to meet me for a coffee and see if i can persuade him to come to the GP with me. He cancelled the appointment he should have had yesterday.
I don't think that this is a drug and alchohol issue, i think it is a separate mental health issue but i don't know how best to get him the help that he needs.

Do any of you have any experience of getting someone unwilling to access help to change their minds? I am worried that he will have more episodes like this and end up either being sectioned or killing himself. Not to mention being worried about other bystanders. That poor chap on the train must have had such an awful end to his day.

idranktheteaatwork Tue 21-Jul-09 14:54:25

bump. smile

LuluMaman Tue 21-Jul-09 14:56:33

i think surely he should be sectioned? is he schizophrenic?

how utterly awful for you all

he's lucky to be alive by all accounts

if he is this far gone, i doubt he will be persuaded by you or anyone else to seek help

idranktheteaatwork Tue 21-Jul-09 16:00:50

Hi,

apparently being sectioned is an absolute last resort and is difficult to do. I would need to persuade his mum to request a psych review by an approved mental health professional via referral from social services, even then it would require a social worker and two doctors to recommend on the day that he be sectioned.

The trouble is that inbetween his episodes he is reasonably stable. He holds down a well paid technical job and a wide circle of friends etc. I think that even if we get an assessment done the likliehood is that on the day he will not be assessed as being a danger to himself or others. Even though potentially he is.

His mum is unwilling to accept that he is in immediate need and as i am not the closest relative to him i cannot request a referral, neith can my partner. (has to be done by next of kin.)

I think i was probably hoping that someone would come and post and say "yy, this happened to us, we said this magic spell and he automatically accessed the appropriate service."

The trouble i am having is getting any coherent advice as to where to go with this. He can't just be left in my opinion as although he could go weeks/months without another crisis, it will definitely happen again and the consequences are likely to be awful.

Over the last two years we have had various middle of the night calls re car crashes/fights/police etc etc. It just seems to be worse every time. If he were a child/young adult we could probably get some direction, but as he is an adult i just keep being told that he has to choose to access the services.

Nobody seems able to tell me what to do when an adult is incapable of judging what is right though. sad

From what i can work out it's not schizophrenia, it's more likely to be psychosis of some kind.

idranktheteaatwork Tue 21-Jul-09 19:12:51

bumperama for the evening crowd. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now