Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How long for psychodynamic psychotherapy?

(6 Posts)
flamingobingo Mon 06-Jul-09 19:30:19

I've asked my therapist a couple of times and all she says is 'I don't know - 6 months would be considered a short course'.

Can anyone who is in the know - a therapist maybe, or someone who has been through it - give me any idea. Months? Years? The rest of my life?

CakeandFineWine Mon 06-Jul-09 19:47:19

Tavi & portman do training:
www.tavi-port.org

if you have no experience but work in mental health you can do part time access diploma over a year (I've just finished and it was a nightmare!!)
Following that there is a 2-4year Ma which results in accreditation with BPA so you can practice as a psychodynamic psycho therapist, but you also have to have psychotherapy alongside this for at least a year.
What do you currently do>

flamingobingo Tue 07-Jul-09 06:52:24

Not to train, to actually have therapy and come out the other end.

kentmumtj Tue 07-Jul-09 07:01:16

i work alongside psychotherapists and am inclined to agree 6 months is usually a short amount of time.......the time depends on many things -
how well you engage
whos funding

good luck

and i do know some who have been receiving it for years so i guess each person is individual

flamingobingo Tue 07-Jul-09 07:03:00

years??? sad

Parents and PIL funding atm. and it's going very well so far - 5 months and I'm still going twice-weekly. I just have no idea what to expect.

sb9 Thu 09-Jul-09 13:15:57

Yep i did it for 18months but had no money and now am going back again, nightmare!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now