Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Mental health and being a mother

(3 Posts)
DuffyMoon Mon 06-Jul-09 16:56:04

I have 2 dd's 13 and 11. I have suffered from depression in the past but at the moment, well for a year or so my anxiety has been more of an issue. I havent been to the Drs recently as I almost need to work myself up to it iyswim and be in the right frame of mind to cope with saying my thoughts outloud.

I really struggle when my children are horrible - when I say horrible I mean normal teen behaviour, in fact I have cried before now blush which I hate but its almost like I cant contain my own anxiety and my anxiety for them. I also think I have a real control issue and want to stop them doing things and remain in control. I dont stop them, but the urge to do so is very strong and am happy when say they have arranged a day out with a friend and the friend cant go.

Today on the way home from school, eldest dd doing her normal grunting and I asked "whats the matter" and I get "nothing, I just cant be bothered to talk right now" It makes me so upset, yet I know there are times when I dont want to talk or speak, so why should me kids want to, all the time.

I think a lot of it comes from when I was a child - I never felt good enough and was (and still am blush ) terrified of rejection. I would never talk to my parents like that because I would be so scared they would reject me. I suppose rational me can think that its "good" that my children feel secure enough with me but I am the end of my tether being a cheerleader because I feel that my children must be happy and if they are not, I must make them happy. My emotions seem to be ruled by my children - especially the elder one; if she is happy, it makes me so happy, if she is grumpy/miserable, I find it really difficult to deal with, its almost like I panic and think "quick I must cheer her up"

Ooops tuned into a bit of a ramble.....be nice to hear from anyone with similar feelings or any advice

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 06-Jul-09 17:05:31

Mine are younger than yours but I can get into a panic some times when the eldest 2 look sad. They have expressions on their face which I recognise as ones I have had when smaller but mine will mean something different and that is hard to remember.

I really struggle as a mum.

whitecloud Mon 06-Jul-09 17:45:46

DuffyMoon

I posted asking for advice about telling my teen (14) I was suffering from anxiety and depression. In the end, with the advice of my counsellor and Mners, I did tell her. It has made a lot of difference - she seems to think more before she speaks. If it is really getting you down it might be worth thinking about expressing your feelings to them more. I wanted my teen to know I was unwell - think she would have felt very guilty if she knew her behaviour was making it worse - now she has a choice. I'm not expecting perfection and have not gone into any detail about my problems because I don't want to burden her.

All this has made me realise how much of a boost you get when they are younger and in a way more companionable. Then the inevitable teen attitude comes and if it happens to coincide with a difficult time in your life it can be very hard.

I have found it really hard not to take the hormonal teenage thing personally and am assailed by memories of when she was younger, which make me sad sometimes.

I was terrified my dd would rejct me because depression (which I suffered from as a young person) was seen as something shameful and weak. But she hasn't and it's been really liberating. Maybe if you just told them a little about how you feel .....?

I think it is very hard to let go of control and it can make you feel very alone. But I suppose we all have to try and do it. Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now