Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

is my friend suffering PND, if so how do I help?

(4 Posts)
gingerninja Sun 05-Jul-09 20:02:47

a friend had a baby a couple of weeks ago and is suffering the usual emotional ups and downs that having your first brings however, she told me that she's suffering terrible anxiety and panic attacks. Not about anything specific but just this general feeling of dread, mostly in the morning. she said she's not too tired and feeding is going well. I suffered terrible lonelyness and emotional ups and downs with my first but I don't know how to reassure her or help with regards to the panic attacks. Can anyone advise on the best way for her to deal with them and how I can support her please? Many thanks

gingerninja Sun 05-Jul-09 21:49:01

any advice? I forgot to mention that her and her Dh had been trying for a baby for some time so I think this has come as a real shock.

Elk Sun 05-Jul-09 21:55:45

When I was first diagnosed with PND a friend sent me a card saying what a wonderful friend and mother I was. It made me very tearful but I kept it on my mantlepiece for 18 months to remind me daily that somebody thought I was worth something.

If she only had the baby a couple of weeks ago she should still be in contact with her midwife or HV could you encourage her to talk to them, they should know what support is available locally. Our HV often brings new mothers along to a local mother and toddler group if they are too shy to go by themselves.

I always enjoyed having something to do on a Friday morning even if it was only a cup of tea with a friend.

gingerninja Sun 05-Jul-09 22:00:54

thanks Elk, yes I'll be around as much as possible and will encourage her to get out and about even if just for a short walk.

she will talk to the HV. Hopefully it won't last too long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now