Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

St Johns' Wort - any experiences?

(5 Posts)
Maninadirndl Thu 02-Jul-09 10:13:12

Well I watched James Wong's "Grow your own drugs" progranme and I managed to get the ten plants growing in the garden he recommended. One of them was St Johns Wort and it looks like this year it won't bear many flowers for me to harvest so I went the chemist. She gave me tablets to try, one a day.

It may be a placebo or me, but it doesn't give you a buzz - not that I was expecting it, but neither does it numb "you" like others - years back I had some Actifed for a cold and I noticed how drowsy and unemotional that made me as a side effect so I am sure antidepressants work like that, which I think isn't right.

What I have noticed is that my environment hasn't changed - it still stressful bringing up kids as a man in a foreign land - but when "shit happens" and it often does - my downers don't go towards self hate like they often do.

Does anyone else understand what I am blithering about?

TarkaLiotta Thu 02-Jul-09 15:31:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maninadirndl Thu 02-Jul-09 16:27:38

I've heard it grows everywhere and I am always looking around now I know what it looks like. I walk up to some plants and they turn out to be buttercups!

TarkaLiotta Thu 02-Jul-09 16:41:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maninadirndl Mon 06-Jul-09 08:33:27

Hi Tarka,

Well I now swear by this remedy. I've just been through a weekend without a pint of normal beer or a glass of wine and for the first time I didn't miss it. Normal procedure is to have a pint Friday during Gardeners World, then another...then another...and wake up Saturday feeling lousy. None of that this time.

The funny thing is that life is still exactly as before just I don't sink into the pit. I found the pressure sof the week just built up and up till Friday I needed to punctuate it all with a kind of release. Must of been my brain feeling progressively worse till it needed a lift back to normal. With St John you don't get that.

I wouldnt even call what I had depression more what the Victorians call the "melancholy" or the blues which we all get.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now