Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

im starting my cbt tomorrow -what to expect

(10 Posts)
candyfluff Tue 30-Jun-09 19:28:25

been waiting so long for this am pinning all my hopes on it ,just want to see an end to my anxiety.
can anyone tell me what happens?

Happypetal Tue 30-Jun-09 19:38:25

I did it a few years ago - it was brilliant. Still use some of the strategies now and then. Can't reall remember what happened at the first appointment - just remember it being really positive and very helpful. Go for it and get the most out of it - it really helps. Lots of luck, hope it brings the happiness you are after.

candyfluff Tue 30-Jun-09 19:45:03

thankyou happypetal- i just want to move on in my life instead of being ruled by anxiety all the time,how many sessions did you have?

Happypetal Wed 01-Jul-09 22:44:13

Hi there, sorry for such a late reply. Hope today went ok - was thinking of you. I think I have about 6-8 sessions the first time around. I had a bit of a wobble a couple of years later and was able to see the nurse again for a quick refresher and a reminder of all that she taught me - it was great to be able to do that. So .... you've had your first session - feeling positive?!

candyfluff Thu 02-Jul-09 12:52:56

hi there
had my first cbt yesterday -was a getting to know what my problems are sort of thing was in there an hour and a half!!!
there was two people there a lady and a man who was a student( and i might add so dishy) lol
they got me to make a sort of flow chart of a day in the life of my anxiety ,really interesting on how my bad thoughts were feeding the anxiety and making it worse.
i have been give some home work to do so im gonna do that while ds is at playschool tomorrow so i can give it my full attension,then it will be weekly phonecalls from my counsellor? not sure what to call her ,so we will have 6 of these session and then if no better then i will have 20 more one to one sessions with the hunky guy hehehehe.
thanks for checking on mexxxx

Happypetal Thu 02-Jul-09 20:34:00

That sounds really positive. Well done you!
I have to say - it was a real eye opener for me when I found out what my triggers were and what could make me spiral downwards.
I think it's a brilliant idea to have phone calls from the counsellor (I called mine 'The Mad Nurse'!!) The homework was also a winner - just make sure you do it as you get so much more out of it when you do - I promise!
As for the if no better after 6 phonecalls and you get 20 sessions with the hunky chap - what an incentive?!!!!! - I'd certainly be going for the 20!
Good luck with the homework - please do shout if you need support. Been there, seen the mad nurse, taken the bonkers pills and come out the other side - I'm here for you!

candyfluff Tue 07-Jul-09 09:11:14

hi happy
was just wanting to ask a few q's really - about the homework they want me to keep a tally of the overbrething that causes me so much trouble so im doing that today
also to write down thoughts and feelings about whats making me feel anxious
today its coz ds is ill with a temp -blowing it all out of proportion
and money worries so should i just put the one thing or both?
when the lady calls me what will she want to know?

candyfluff Tue 07-Jul-09 09:18:52

my sheet i have to fill in asks some q's
this is what i have to fill in
situation
thoughts
feelings
behaviour
outcome
im not sure what to write in the last collum
can you help me ?

Ladylou83 Mon 20-Jul-09 00:39:05

Im half through my second lot of CBT, and I thinking Im learning from it. I havent seld harmed in nearly 4 months and certainly feel more rational about things.

I was given homework, likes yours, where u fill in the sheet. Found that I was able to look back at it and see the progress I had made and the change in the way I dealt with things.

I always use to put how I felt in the outcome collum, written a few hours later, or if there was an outcome because another person was involved Id put that it.

My lady soon had a clearer idea of my triggers and how I handled stuff.

Good luck with the CBT

candyfluff Mon 20-Jul-09 08:40:13

thanks lady lou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now