Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

4th day on A/D - feel wretched and ill. Why?

(7 Posts)
sabire Mon 29-Jun-09 14:28:57

On Friday I started on fluoxetine, 20mg a day. Never had SSRI's before. I know they're not supposed to take effect immediately, but I'm having some very unpleasant symptoms and am wondering if it's connected. Saturday I felt ok, Sunday was the best day I've had in ages. But last night I woke up at about 2pm with what felt like a thrum of unpleasant energy in my body, especially my legs. Managed to get back to sleep but woke up this morning feeling - bleurghhhh...... sick, tense, 'antsy' is the only way I can describe it. Having been constipated over the weekend I had diarrheoa this morning and have felt very muzzy headed all day. Dealing with the kids has been torture.

I do have a problem with my liver which my GP knows about and I'm wondering if this is making me react more strongly to the A/D's than I might otherwise.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts - especially how long this might go on for. If it gets any worse or goes on much longer I don't think I can cope.

ErikaMaye Mon 29-Jun-09 16:22:00

Wow, you poor thing! Part of it sounds side-affect related but to me it sounds like you've come down with a bug. If the syptoms continue, go see your GP.

I had the restless energy and nasuea when I started on my mediciation, but it does ease off soon

SM13 Mon 29-Jun-09 17:22:47

Do you suffer from anxiety? Sometimes I think its the AD but perhaps its me getting worked up!

I would phone the doctor if your no better tomorrow, perhaps you can speak to a nurse there? (I have found the nurses more helpful than the dr's!)

Ive just started some new AD, there are side effects which I hope get better after a week. I get the muzzy head too!

Take Care

sabire Mon 29-Jun-09 18:03:39

Thanks peeps

I don't think I've got a bug. I think the way I feel is a combination of anxiety, reaction to the fluoxetine, and my underlying liver condition. sad

Glad to know I'm not the only one who gets the restless energy thing. It's horrible. Hope it goes away soon.

I wish I could get acupuncture on the NHS. It's the only thing that seems to help with my liver condition, my appetite and my sleep without any side effects. Can't carry on paying out £50 a week for it though.

Lulumama Mon 29-Jun-09 18:08:31

hey sabire, sorry to hear you are having a bad time of it. IIRC< it took me around 2 weeks to acclimatise to the ADs, maybe more. it will settle and you will feel the benefits. are you having soem counselling or other support?

sabire Mon 29-Jun-09 20:31:56

Thanks lulumama,
I don't think I need counselling at the moment. My mental health was pretty good until I got physically ill about 18 months ago with a vague liver complaint which has had me back and forth to the doctors. I've had lots of blood tests, but all they've come back with is Gilbert's Syndrome, and a lowish white blood cell count, neither of which would really explain why I've been exhausted/nauseous/felt hungover for so long.

I'm depressed and anxious because I physically feel so shit all the time and I'm struggling to cope with looking after three children, including a challenging 3 year old. sad

ErikaMaye Tue 30-Jun-09 09:09:16

Hey -

Although I've always had a variation of mental health problems, mine were under control until I got ME/CFS around the same time as you got ill by the sounds of things. Though I was sceptical the councelling on top of medication really helped. It gave me someone to talk to who HAD to listen to me, even if I was repeating the same thing every week! Not to put pressure on you, but please do consider it to work with your ADs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now