Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Friend taken an overdose- quick help please :(

(20 Posts)
quickadviceplease Sun 28-Jun-09 10:16:23

I have namechanged, but only because people know me irl. My friend has taken an overdose. She stayed over last night and has just admitted that yesterday lunchtime she took about 20 paracetamol, 10 nurofen and about 5 sleeping pills. She doesn't want me to call the doctor, but I have to don't I?? She is in the toilet, she had a bad headache and stomach cramps last night and I guess now I know why. I didn't know she was this depressed It doesn't sound a lot of pills to me but am I right that I should call an ambulance? Forgive me asking on here, I hate these kind of threads myself

watsthestory Sun 28-Jun-09 10:17:26

Message withdrawn

quickadviceplease Sun 28-Jun-09 10:17:33

I meant to add, I'm worried she hasn't told me the real extent of it- I don't know what she has taken, I only have her word for it

watsthestory Sun 28-Jun-09 10:18:23

Message withdrawn

watsthestory Sun 28-Jun-09 10:19:22

Message withdrawn

hobbgoblin Sun 28-Jun-09 10:22:14

She has told you for a reason so I think you have to act. Don't fanny about though, call 999 in case she scarpers. If Paramedics arrive then they will have more chance of unofficially restraining her and will have a protocol if it looks like she needs admission involuntarily to a mental health unit.

Will take a while for damage to show with Paracetamol. The Paracetamol is the most worrying, but depends what sleeping pills she took.

Servalan Sun 28-Jun-09 11:00:26

Agree - 999 now (though hope you've called already).

I know it probably feels very difficult because she has asked you not to, but she really does need help ASAP.

As hobgoblin said, it takes a while for damage done by Paracetamol to show and it is very, very dangerous. It needs to be looked into sooner rather than later before any damage becomes irreversible.

Let us know how you and she get on.

guvk Sun 28-Jun-09 11:07:33

Don't worry about involuntary admission. That is quite unlikely.
Paracetamol very horrible in overdose, with delayed serious effects -- that is what needs dealing with.

hobbgoblin Sun 28-Jun-09 11:19:49

guvk, my point was that if the friend was afraid of being admitted then she may 'disappear' and in the time it would take to find her she would be going downhill health-wise.

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Sun 28-Jun-09 11:48:24

She absolutely must be seen, sooner rather than later - i dont think you have any choice. For one thing, this is a cry for help and she needs proper qualified help. Does she have PND?

quickadviceplease Sun 28-Jun-09 12:05:07

Thank you for your help. I called an ambulance and they came. She was a bit dazed but she went with them. She is on her own with a 10 month old and I do wonder how much she's been keeping to herself I know she must have told me for a reason and I hope at least things will start to get better for her now. I've got her ds with me and my dc now but I can't stop worrying. She's my best friend but I know she has no family round here, and she's still breastfeeding and she fed him through the night and this morning. Should I call them back and ask them to come and check him as well? He seems fine but I don't know. I feel so bad to have sent her on her own, but I'm alone with dc too and have noone i can leave them with

guvk Sun 28-Jun-09 12:17:41

Well done. You've been a brilliant friend. You've done all you can.

I would def. ask them to look at the 10month old also, I think. Couold you ring NHS Direct for advice on this?

Hope all turns out as well as possible for your friend.

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Sun 28-Jun-09 13:29:11

You did absolutely the right thing. Your friend is very lucky to have you. I agree with guvk, the baby should be checked if she has BF him.

IkeaHighchair Sun 28-Jun-09 13:33:19

I agree about baby. He should be checked too.

nellie12 Sun 28-Jun-09 13:38:54

wouldn't bother with nhs direct though, I think they will tell you he needs to be seen.would ring out of hours instead they will refer him to hospital if necessary. Poor you too hope you ok as well as friend

watsthestory Sun 28-Jun-09 15:18:52

Message withdrawn

watsthestory Sun 28-Jun-09 15:19:21

Message withdrawn

ErikaMaye Sun 28-Jun-09 22:15:20

You did the right thing. I hope your friend is okay, and you're not feeling too guilty - I've had to do the same before after being asked not to, and it can be very difficult to deal with.

watsthestory Mon 29-Jun-09 15:05:50

Message withdrawn

Servalan Wed 01-Jul-09 12:19:04

How are you and your friend doing now QAP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now