Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

CBT counsellor has suggested Beater Blockers for anxiety?

(10 Posts)
SM13 Thu 25-Jun-09 20:10:42

Day one off the AD, therapist keeps saying Beater Blockers will help with the anxiety. Anyone else take them? Thanks for your answers.

tiredemma Thu 25-Jun-09 20:11:49

Propanalol is a Beta blocker which is prescribed for anxiety disorders

SM13 Thu 25-Jun-09 20:19:45

Thanks, sorry BETA Blockers! Been at work all day!

YommyMommy Thu 25-Jun-09 20:54:43

Hello again SM13,

My Therapies thinks that Anxiety can be beaten without meds at all although my GP said sometime people need a little bit of both to help!

I guess everyone will have a different view as things that work for some people don;t work for others!

WOuld you consider trying Hypnotherapy??? I found this really worked for me!!!

x x x

SM13 Fri 26-Jun-09 19:31:04

Thanks Yommy Mommy, Iam currently on nothing and would like to do it without the drugs! Will try anything , will have a word with CBT man re hypnotherapy.

My parents died when I was younger and I have no siblings. I always thought I have got on with life and forgotten the tough times, think they have come back now I'm mature and a Mum!

Something has caused this all of a sudden!

Thanks for your advice.

Momino Sat 27-Jun-09 11:22:27

Hi. was on Beta blocs last year for anxiety - don't think they made any difference. stopped meds when i became preg so depended upon counselling which helped a great deal.

hope you feel better soon.

SM13 Sat 27-Jun-09 12:28:55

Momino - want kind of counselling did you have? Congratulation on your pregnancy, how are you feeling? Thanks

Momino Sat 27-Jun-09 18:43:35

Hi SM13.

thanks for the congrats! the happy hormones from child birth had worked this time smile but now i feel like my mood is changing back to being anxious. i'm keeping a check on it so will see GP this week for advice.

the past year I've been going to general counselling at my GP surgery. i'd had 8 sessions and felt going nowhere, then found out i was pregnant in aug so GP decided i should have more sessions grin. only feel like i turned the corner in Jan. was supposed to be referred for further psycholog analysis to determine next treatment (eg cbt or alternative) but was turned down since I've just had a baby so a lot going on according to the consultantshmm... i don't quite understand the explanation. I do agree that I wouldn't be able to fit in further counselling with 2 toddlers and a baby at the moment. i'd really like to try cbt though and may try online whilst i can't do appointments.

thanks for the congrats! the happy hormones from child birth had worked this time smile but now i feel like my mood is changing back to being anxious. i'm keeping a check on it so will see GP this week for advice.

i do wonder if BBs work for others. I'd be interested to hear from someone who's benefitted.

sorry for choppy and run on sentences - one handed typing.

Hope you're having a good weekend.

SM13 Sat 27-Jun-09 21:35:21

You seem like your doing a great job with two toddlers and a baby - well done you. I have a boy 4 and girl 7, I work 3 days which has been a struggle recently.

I got a fantastic book from amazon called CBT for Dummies - gets good reviews, perhaps you could give that a go?

Still haven't decided whether I am going to take the new AD (Dosulepin) tonight, so anxious about the side effects! The mirtazapine that I was on made the anxiety worse! Wasn't that bothered before!

I seem to have a fuzzy head on or off the AD, Dr said it was anxiety!

I have CBT every Tuesday and this Tuesday at 2.00 I am going for an assessment at a therapy place (counsellor referred me!). They give free reflexology, acupunture, massage , meditation, counselling, therapies etc...., they will assess what will be good for anxiety / depression! Will let you know!

You have a good weekend, let me know how you are.

Momino Sat 27-Jun-09 22:37:19

oh, i can't even post properly - i've repeated myself above, sorry!

I didn't know there was a Dummies book for CBT and will defn look for it, i really need a substitute for counselling.

RE: fuzzy head - that's exactly how i would describe how i felt last year and what i'm starting to feel again now, like looking through cloudy glasses.

I hope your assessment goes well and can't wait to hear how it goes for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now