Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone have any experiences of Diazepam?

(6 Posts)
SM13 Mon 22-Jun-09 11:40:42

Hello

Currently coming off Mirtazapine and Doctor has given me a prescription of Diazepam 2mg if I need them.

Just wondered if they help you sleep, can you still funtion normally on them, drive etc ?

Anxiety has been bad last few days and was just wondering whether to ride it out or take one?

I just can't win, I'm anxious about feeling anxious!! How Weird!

Thanks for your answers

notnowbernard Mon 22-Jun-09 13:10:56

2mg of Diazepam is a very small dose

I doubt it would make you sleep, but it might take the edge of your anxiety a bit. You should still be able to function pretty normally if you took 2mg - I'd be suprised if it made you feel drowsy

Are you coming off Mirtazipine in order to start another AD?

You are probably aware that Diazepam is only intended for short-term use only. It's a very addictive drug. HTH and that your anxiety improves smile

SM13 Mon 22-Jun-09 14:12:33

Thanks for replying notnowbernard - its kind of you.

Coming off mirtazapine to start Dosulepin, only been on AD for 4 months up until then I was okay!

Was having problems sleeping , appetite went, fuzzy head and all enjoyment stopped, was worrying excessively over stupid things!

Feel better but the side effects have been getting me down (dizziness, anxiety seems worse!).

I am having CBT and the therapist says I should come off the anti depressants altogether!

The Dr prescribed Diazpam for the change over as I asked could the anxiety get worse coming off them. Been too anxious to take the Diazapam in case I feel worse! I can't help myself!! hmm

Thanks again, I hope you are okay.

moodyblue Mon 22-Jun-09 17:32:24

I was prescribed 2mg diazepam for muscle spasm in my lower back. I had to take 3 a day as well as co-codamol. They definitely knocked me out but I think that was the combination. I have taken the diazepam on its own from time to time and it's lovely - just chills you out. (I take citalopram for anxiety too at the minute). I'd have a go with one but just be aware you might be drowsy so perhaps try one a couple of hours before you have to go to bed?

notnowbernard Mon 22-Jun-09 20:28:43

It might be useful to take to counteract the side-effects/withdrawal effect from the Mirtazipine

It's great you're already linked in with CBT. TBH I would say the decision to stop ADs or not should be a collaborative one between you, your Dr and your therapist

Good luck with it all smile I don't suffer personally but have professional experience

SM13 Tue 23-Jun-09 15:10:07

Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now