Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

"Depression is rage turned inwards"

(21 Posts)
nametaken Fri 19-Jun-09 23:44:05

wouldn't you agree?

bumsrush Fri 19-Jun-09 23:45:11

I think that could be one of the main causes.

Claire2009 Fri 19-Jun-09 23:58:51

I agree.

claireinthecommunity Tue 23-Jun-09 21:14:33

That's an interesting quote/statement nametaken where did you hear it? It's certainly got me thinking smile

expatinscotland Tue 23-Jun-09 21:17:30

From what I see here, plenty of people use it as excuse to vent all their rage and then some.

No, I don't agree.

I am very depressed, but I am not angry, this seems a pointless emotion for me now.

Instead I am desperate to seek that which will bring me a modicum of peace, and search where I can.

LilRedWG Tue 23-Jun-09 21:18:17

I'm with expat on this one - in fact I could have written her post.

dittany Tue 23-Jun-09 21:19:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Tue 23-Jun-09 21:22:45

I know how I feel is not true of everyone, but nor is that the illness is rage turned inwards.

FairLadyRantALot Tue 23-Jun-09 21:28:43

I would think that rage turned inwards is more anorexia and other selfharming behaviour of any kind...depression to me is more a lack of emotion, a deep unexplainable sadness about nothing in particular, a lack of motivation to do just about anything....but not rage...if anything, if I experience depression it is internal rage (at myself) that tends to kick me out of it....iykwim

Dlamis Tue 23-Jun-09 21:38:20

I don't agree.

I suffer from PND and can sometimes completely lose the plot angerwise when I'm feeling at my lowest. GP told me depression can manifest itself as intense anger/rage but tbh i think it's a symptom rather than the cause.

Heathcliffscathy Tue 23-Jun-09 21:44:24

the point is that if you're depressed you're not angry. that is you're not expressing or feeling your rage and anger.

if you could get angry maybe you wouldn't be so depressed.

think about the word literally: depression (not sadness, grief, remorse, melancholy, mourning). emotions. usually negative ones. often rage are pressed down on, inhibited, depressed.

flat affect (no emotion) is a big marker for depression. you need to work out what emotions are being supressed and why.

imho

Heathcliffscathy Tue 23-Jun-09 21:45:41

sorry about that middle section. the syntax was appalling.

nickytwotimes Tue 23-Jun-09 21:48:39

I don't agree with the statement either, though it is accepted as recieved wisdom by many psych nurses, etc.
It may be the case for some, but there as many reasons/causes/roots of depression as there are depressed people. Generalisations are unhelpful.

expatinscotland Tue 23-Jun-09 23:04:22

i had a psychiatric nurse say, 'you're not very kind to yourself.'

um, no, lady, i really don't give a shit about myself or fuck all else either.

duh!

sb9 Wed 24-Jun-09 13:06:20

I agree with this now, after therapy opened upmy feeling of emptiness it turned to huge rage i didnt even know was there. The problem is i can to cut he therapy due to lack of money and have been left raging!
Its been awful and am starting again tonight!

OrmIrian Wed 24-Jun-09 13:08:26

No. I don't agree. I was in a pit of negative emotion. No anger, no love, no hope, no anything but sadness and emptiness. Rage can be positive.

Jumente Wed 24-Jun-09 13:10:40

Yes, have heard this before and it certainly rings quite true to me.

Partly I think it's true anyhow.

It's getting rid of the rage that's the tricky bit, without, you know, injuring someone...(could happily lamp ds's HT at the moment) grin

ihavenosecrets Wed 24-Jun-09 13:12:22

I am trying to stop myself sinking into depression at the moment. I have had a couple of months of being angry and I am tired of being angry because it is too draining. So yes I can see where you are coming from.

nametaken Wed 24-Jun-09 15:25:43

Thanks for your input everyone. It's interesting that there are so many different viewpoints.

ErikaMaye Mon 29-Jun-09 10:30:33

Sometimes mental illnesses strike me in that they can all play along the stages of grief - you get angry, you want to change it, you accept it etc. I don't know whether I agree with the statement, but with every illness, as with every human action, there is a degree of anger involved. Sometimes this can manifest itself, and its certainly considered if they are considering you for a diagnosis. I have moments where I'm furious with myself, with my DP, with my circamstances, and with the world in general. But when I'm so down I can't see the light, I'm not angry. I'm blank. I don't see the point in feeling anything, anger included. So I'm not really sure.

auntilin Tue 30-Jun-09 23:10:30

I think this is an interesting statement.

I think i have felt so out of control at times, due to suppressing my feelings, for various reasons/situation..

I never used to be like this & have managed quite stressful situations over the years.

I wonder if now my life is boring no stresses/older etc. why i am so low? perhaps when i was younger i just had to cope no choice iyswim..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now