Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Mirtazapine - help!

(6 Posts)
zerolibido Tue 16-Jun-09 18:48:58

I have just changed from fluoxetine prescribed for depression to mirtazapine. The fluoxetine helped but gave me terrible insomnia so my doc changed my presription to mitazapine which i have only been taking for a week. I feel terrible, like a total zombie. I just want to sleep all the time & my brain is in a total muddle. Is this normal? I dont know what to do if i should keep taking it or not. Please help

Devendra Tue 16-Jun-09 18:59:10

Are you taking it in the evening? Thats when you should be taking it. It does have sedative properties unlike fluoxetine which is alerting. Sometimes side effects take a week or two to settle.. personally I would give it another few days then go back to the GP. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get medication right.
Good luck.

PeppermintPatty Tue 16-Jun-09 19:15:41

What dose are you on?

TBH it had this effect on me too - and it didn't completely go away even after months of taking it.

I found a lower dose better (anything more than 15mg and I can't get out of bed in the morning).

And take it last thing a night.

zerolibido Tue 16-Jun-09 20:47:00

Taking 15mg at bedtime. It completely knocks me out almost straight away & for a good 8-10 hours

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 16-Jun-09 20:49:41

I agree with what Devendra says. Also I would add that if you (and your GP) are finding it tricky to find a suitable ad, perhaps you could ask for an appt to see a psychiatrist, just to have your medication reviewed.

If there is no improvement in a week, then I would definitely go back to the GP (or sooner if you are feeling worse)

SM13 Wed 17-Jun-09 20:27:12

Hi zerolibido,

I have been on it for 4 months now and am currently coming off it.
Was on 15mg for first week and then 30mg at bedtime thereafter.

They helped with the depression, sleeping and eating! However, now I feel better the muddled head, brain not working is getting me down, especially when i'm at work! I didn't have bad anxiety at first but feel I am worse now - probably me tho!

You do get use to the muddled head , especially as your mood lifts. The Doctor has now prescribed me Dosulepin AD, although my CBT counsellor says I don't need it!

I guess you have to look at the pros and cons, I had the worst reaction to Citalopram so thought Mirtazapine was okay when I went back on it!

Hope You get on okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now