Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Need some support to help start taking Imipramine for PND/Anxiety

(5 Posts)
tutu100 Mon 15-Jun-09 22:03:01

I've suffered from panic attacks since I was a teenager and have had various treatments for them. I have taken anti-depressents in the past but never for more than a couple of weeks as I had problems with side effects (phobia of vomiting meant if they said may cause nausea I was then convinced I felt sick once I'd taken them).

Anyway since having ds2 I have been having horrendous panic attacks and been feeling unable to cope. I have tried looking on the bright side and telling myself it will pass, but so far it hasn't and I'm getting worse. I'm only able to leave the house if I have DP and my mum with me.

Anyway I am seeing a CPN and I've been prescribed Imipramine. I am to start taking 25mg and then gradually build up to 100mg.

However these are the things I am worried about. He said it would help me sleep better, but I'm worried I won't be able to get up to deal with the kids in the night. DS2 is still bf and feeds 1-2 times a night plus ds1 tends to wake around 5.30am so I don't get much sleep as it is. Also I'm worried about how they might make me feel tomorrow.

Also despite being told that ds2 will be fine with me taking these I am still worried that he may suffer side effects from me taking them (ds2 is 28 weeks).

I know I have to take them as I need to get better for my kids. I want to be able to take ds1 to playschool and to the park again. Also I've started having panic attacks at home which I've never had before.

I really want to start taking the tablets tonight as I keep putting it off.

Just need some support really.

theDreadPirateRoberts Tue 16-Jun-09 21:25:51

Just found this in unanswered threads - did you take the tablet yesterday? Hope you're OK..

tutu100 Tue 16-Jun-09 23:22:21

No, thanks for asking. I put it off again. Which was probably a good thing as ds2 woke every hour last night. I need to be able to wake up to deal with him.

Will try again tomorrow.

Thanks for your post.

wonderstuff1989 Tue 16-Jun-09 23:36:19

Hi tutu
sorry not much knowledge of imipramine, but I find it unlikely that the kind of sleep it would encourage would be unbreakable- especially by the sound of a screaming baby wink. I was told when going on an SSRI (the newer type of AD) that it would help me sleep better- I have hypersomnia now, only wake up naturally after 12-14 hours, but the kids still wake me up right enough!!!

I think also that if there were significant documented effects of imipramine in breast milk you might have been told to stop bfing. I bfed on my ADs for 9 months with no apparent ill effects on ds2.

Hope you are feeling OK today anyway.

theDreadPirateRoberts Wed 17-Jun-09 20:41:34

Oy! Tutu! Tonight's the night - yes? [stern look]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now