Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

been put on citrolpram (sp) by gp but think its affecting dd3

(21 Posts)
misdee Wed 11-May-05 21:24:19

she has been sleeping more during the day and night now. not feeding much. seems very drowsey. could it be the AD's? have been on them since friday.

WigWamBam Wed 11-May-05 21:27:49

It could be, misdee, a certain amount of the drug does get into your milk. Have a chat with the GP or ring NHS Direct and see what their advice is.

misdee Wed 11-May-05 21:28:35

think i'll get the HV to come and weigh her friday to make sure she is still gaining.

WigWamBam Wed 11-May-05 21:30:24

Will your GP take telephone calls? Can you ring and ask his advice on whether it could be affecting her?

misdee Wed 11-May-05 21:31:15

think they do, but its afternoon surgery and got to take dd1 to hospital then tomorrow. my hv is pretty good, i'll leave a message for them to call me.

Janh Wed 11-May-05 21:34:10

Just googled for you, misdee:

"Celexa appears in breast milk and will affect the nursing infant. You should consider discontinuing either breastfeeding or Celexa. Talk with your doctor about the pros and cons of each option."

(Citalopram)

essbee Wed 11-May-05 21:34:50

Message withdrawn

Janh Wed 11-May-05 21:35:19

And:

<<Pregnancy and Nursing Mothers
The safety of citalopram during pregnancy and lactation has not been established. Therefore, citalopram should not be used during pregnancy, unless, in the opinion of the physician, the expected benefits to the patient markedly outweigh the possible hazards to the fetus. Citalopram is excreted in human milk. Citalopram should not be administered to nursing mothers unless, in the opinion of the treating physician, the expected benefits to the patient markedly outweigh the possible hazards to the child.>>

essbee Wed 11-May-05 21:36:24

Message withdrawn

misdee Wed 11-May-05 21:36:57

oh pants

Janh Wed 11-May-05 21:37:53

Did GP know you are breastfeeding, misdee?

misdee Wed 11-May-05 21:38:32

yes. he read through loads before saying this one should be ok but could also affect dd3.

Janh Wed 11-May-05 21:39:51

Actually I would be surprised if there are any which don't get into the milk and affect the baby.

Bum.

misdee Wed 11-May-05 21:41:00

could be a growth spurt tho couldnt it?

Janh Wed 11-May-05 21:44:45

I thought growth spurts made them feed more though. It could be a coincidence, she might just be having a sleepy spell, I would wait a couple more days - if she is still groggy by Friday morning get a GP appt then?

misdee Wed 11-May-05 21:55:58

maybe she is more effective at feeding now. argh i dunno. the AD's seems to be working already, a feel calmer but dont want to harm dd3 in any way as she is my little angel and so sweet.

hunkermunker Wed 11-May-05 22:02:39

Have you rung the Breastfeeding Network's Drugline, Misdee? Deffo the best place for info.

number's here and you can also email them for info

bluebear Wed 11-May-05 22:04:48

I took it when bfeeding dd and she showed no effects whatsoever - the GP that prescribed it said there had been a recent study which found no effect, even though it is present in breastmilk. That was Oct 03.

hunkermunker Thu 12-May-05 09:45:24

Misdee, did you see these last two posts?

misdee Thu 12-May-05 09:48:37

just have. she seems mroe alert oday and fed loads this morning. am still calling hv to get her weighed to put my mind at rest.

hunkermunker Thu 12-May-05 11:07:47

Fantastic! I think we do tend to read into things when we're worried about something - I'm sure she's fine. Hope the weighing goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now