Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

going to throw it out there... anyone smoke pot or know...

(28 Posts)
wooppeeddoooo Tue 09-Jun-09 20:32:46

does it really make you more depressed?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 09-Jun-09 20:36:01

I do, and while I don't suffer from depression myself I believe it can make you worse if you do.

ScummyMummy Tue 09-Jun-09 20:37:29

Info from Frank

Devendra Tue 09-Jun-09 20:41:05

It does for some people but for others it doesnt and can have a positive impact upon mood. Its down to the individual.. have a month off it and see how you feel.

Jux Tue 09-Jun-09 20:46:36

I don't, but I have. It didn't make me depressed, but it did send me to sleep and also aggravated my headaches. (I smoked it for ms pain and it bloody worked.)

plimple Tue 09-Jun-09 20:49:08

I don't, it can. Can also cause psychosis. My family have a history of mental illness and cannabis has brought it out in those who have been regular smokers.
If no history of mental illness you're less at risk.

4andnotout Tue 09-Jun-09 20:51:35

My sil smokes it constantly and suffers from depression, paranoia and anger issues which i believe are linked to her habit.

Noonki Tue 09-Jun-09 20:56:47

I did and it did. i also had a psychotic episode (badly) that it may have contributed to.

i work in Manchester with drug users and when there was a huge shortage of dope the mental health teams had a 25% reduction in sections.

fishie Tue 09-Jun-09 20:58:48

it made me anxious.

ingles2 Tue 09-Jun-09 21:04:04

my brothers life has been pretty much ruined by smoking pot.
He really is a lovely guy, one of life's wonderful people, yet he has a crap job, no money, lost the woman he loved, and suffers from terrible depression, anxiety and paranoia as the result of years of heavy use.
Sorry that's probably far tmi, but just thought I'd be honest.

Devendra Wed 10-Jun-09 06:11:29

Sorry Noonki but what a crock of shit.. How on earth could anyone quantify that a shortage of cannabis in a major city could have that impact.. Just because there is a shortage of dope in one area it does not mean that the whole city has a shortage. I think that someone has started a little urban myth.

nooka Wed 10-Jun-09 06:29:34

I think it depends on the individual, the way that the dope is used (frequency, triggers etc) and most importantly the strength. There seems to be an association with excessive use of high strength hash amongst young men and serious mental health problems (psychosis in particular). We had a neighbour nd friend who had a severe manic depressive episode (he was in a secure mental health unit for a good few weeks) but he really did use a lot - dh and I would go through in a month what he would use in a day. For us it was an alternative to a glass or two of wine, whereas for him it because a serious addiction and terrible crutch. Personally I found the "harder" stuff quite unpleasant, with a really strong effect (I guess like drinking the equivalent amount of vodka compared with wine or maybe even beer perhaps).

nooka Wed 10-Jun-09 06:33:04

Oh, and you can have big (temporary) reductions in supply if you have a big drugs bust, or a big grower is taken out by a fire or other downtime. People will often move to another drug rather than go to an unfamiliar dealer. The drug action team I worked beside (long ago mind) reported big fluctuations in people's habits depending on price and availability. They covered a relatively small bit of London - I would expect Manchester has a similar set up.

Devendra Wed 10-Jun-09 06:36:11

I agree nooka.. I know lots of people who use cannabis lightly.. have a smoke during the odd evening and weekends and it enhances their lives.. I know a couple of others who smoke constantly and they are lazy buggers who never get anything done. Personally I dont smoke it as it makes me edgy and anxious but I know that it has a positive effect on a lot of people escecially for pain relief.

nooka Wed 10-Jun-09 06:40:52

Similar to alcohol really. Can cause a huge amount of destruction, or be a pleasant hobby.

twofalls Wed 10-Jun-09 06:59:40

can't it also be an amplifier? so depending on your general state of mind can make you feel more happy or more depressed.

I could be talking rubbish of course.

I have heard that it is also linked to psychosis. My friend's Dad had what they called cannabis related psychosis - she hasn't seen him for 6 years.

serajen Wed 10-Jun-09 12:33:50

Skunk, which is everywhere today, is so strong and can definitely trigger psychosis in vulnerable people, ie those suffering with any signs of anxiety, depression, etc, I can remember the days when dope just made you feel a bit dreamy, giggly and relaxed, but the stuff today is much more dangerous, IMO

FlappyCake Wed 10-Jun-09 12:46:55

Hmm I don't use it myself at all, having seen what it did to people in my youth - blokes who would end up talking in that 'oversmoked' way as though it had destroyed some of their brain cells...or maybe they were just trying to be cool...also a good friend I had used it for years and years and went bonkers a little while ago - it was terribly sad and I miss her how she used to be sad

jarbelle Wed 10-Jun-09 13:56:11

It really depends on the person I believe.

I used to years ago but stopped when they gave me panic attacks.

Dp does every day and has been for 14 years. He's very level headed and smart with no signs of the cannibis affecting him adversely, except for being frustratingly bone-idle lazy and slightly overweight because of munchies. He did stop at one stage for 6 months when were living abroad and didn't notice any withdrawal symptoms.

I actually have a friend who smokes a lot (had been in and out of psych hospitals before starting) and he said it actually helps his state of mind. I wouldn't condone that though.

You're right serajen. There was a programme on recently about THC and how cannibis is bred to make the THC stronger (the stuff that gets you really stoned/ have anxiety/ psychosis).
In plants grown in the wild and not bred, there is some other chemical that conteracts the THC effects so you don't get as stoned, get the giggles etc.
This other counteracting chemical - can't for the life of me remember the name of it - isn't present in a lot of the cannibis being sold today.

MumGoneCrazy Wed 10-Jun-09 14:12:00

My Dp used to smoke it from age of 15 to 21 which is when he gave it up because i gave him an ultimatum as i was pregnant with our DD and didnt want her seeing that part of him as on it he often suffered from depression and had a lot of anger issues which led to him giving me mental, emotional and pysical abuse since giving up his head has cleared he still has moods every few weeks but who doesnt and hasnt led one finger on me and is more in control of his actions when angry he can now walk away from a row instead of making it worse

Rhubarb Wed 10-Jun-09 14:14:32

It can give you a good hit or a bad hit, depending on your overall mood. If you're chilling with friends then you'll probably feel good and chilled out. But if you're feeling a bit low anyway, then it's no anti-depressant and can leave you feeling paranoid and on edge.

TheEarthIsFlat Wed 10-Jun-09 14:19:47

I've had problems with depression for a long time. On the few occasions I smoked pot as a teenager it definitely made me much much worse. Wouldn't go near it now.

IDidntRaiseAThief Wed 10-Jun-09 14:23:12

had a baaaaad effect on me, as soemone who has depression. The scary thing is, I refused to see it, that it was amking me worse.

ex dh is now ex, becuase of it, it ruined our life.

I havent anything positive to say about it, in it's long term use.

serajen Wed 10-Jun-09 16:48:08

Yes Jarbelle, was trying to remember those 3 letters, THC, was thinking PCP but that's completely different! I used to smoke alot, partner was a Rastafarian and it was just a normal thing for us, but had huge panic attack one night and thought I'd tipped over into mental illness never to return, that put me off good and proper. I know people who smoke lots and they never seem to achieve what they'd like to, I think it's hard to function normally when permanently stoned, not meaning to come across as judgemental cos I've done loads of stuff in my time, but the messing with the head frightened me enough to stay away

Noonki Thu 11-Jun-09 18:22:13

Deverenda...

I've worked here with the drugs service for ten years and it was a massive drought, well noted across users, CPNs, drugs workers, park house (psychiatric hospital), the homelessness staff, at loads of multiagency meetings my team attended ... it has such an impact that the consultants at the hospital made a request to the primary care trust do have an enquiry into it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now