Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Where to go for help for 17 year old boy?

(3 Posts)
frostyfingers Tue 02-Jun-09 09:39:47

Can anyone suggest good places to go for help for 17yo boy who has just been excluded, has Opposition Defiance Disorder, and has just started self harming. Started on the GP route, but was wondering if anyone had experience of similar problems and could advise where else to find help and how to handle the situatin.

wobbegong Tue 02-Jun-09 20:03:15

Hi frostyfingers
Sorry I don't have personal experience of this
I wondered though about Mind who have some decent factsheets on mental health and young people
These can be found at Mind factsheets
There is one about self harming for example.
At the end of the factsheet are a number of other sources of information including YoungMinds, who have a helpline.
This is not my specialist subject but I hope this helps even a little, and bumps for you.

frostyfingers Wed 03-Jun-09 11:50:40

Thank you - that looks a good resource, don't know why I didn't think of it! You know the information is out there, but sometimes don't know where to start until some nice person comes along and shows you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: