Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Health Anxiety - what is GP likely to suggest?

(4 Posts)
LightShinesInTheDarkness Mon 01-Jun-09 23:17:10

I have been posting here this week as I am terrified that DD10 has leukaemia or some other cancer.

I've realised that Health Anxiety is beginning to take over my life, and have made a GP appointment to confess the extent of my fears.

At the moment I take Citalopram - can anyone give me any idea about what the GP might suggest to help me break this miserable circle of fear?

Has anyone had any success with any treatments, and overcome their Health Anxiety?

Thanks as always.

thislittlelightofmine Tue 02-Jun-09 09:48:47

I had citalopram for my anxiety issues coupled with counseling. Not sure what other meds he might suggest (maybe increase in dose?) and counseling depends on what your local area have funding for. Goodluck, hope it goes well.

LightShinesInTheDarkness Tue 02-Jun-09 11:30:53

Thanks tllom - when you say counselling, was it the kind of thing that went over all your past life and experiences? I not keen to go through dragging it all up again. I want to let the past lie and move on with my life without this crippling fear.

SM13 Tue 23-Jun-09 17:34:30

Hi

Ask for CBT counselling, doesn't go in to your past, it tries to change how you think and how much relevance your thoughts have etc..

I am having CBT counselling and am on AD.

Your not alone.

Good Luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now