Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is this really PND?

(8 Posts)
smallblessings Mon 01-Jun-09 22:53:43

I had my 3rd baby 11 weeks ago. I did not have PND with DD1 but with DD2 I think in retrospect that I had PND for a long time after her birth.

I think that I have PND again sad. Please can anyone tell me if this sounds like PND?
I have the odd day were I just feel really down and unhappy for no reason, I get really anxious about nothing, I feel like I need to rush to get things done (at times) and feel anxious about this, I feel down about myself - like I'm a bit useless (not all the time), I feel spaced out - a bit detatched from other people.

I don't feel like this all the time sometimes i feel great.

Advice really appreciated. Thank you. smile

smallblessings Mon 01-Jun-09 23:02:10

Bump please.

tutu100 Mon 01-Jun-09 23:07:23

I think it sounds like it could be. I have been diagnsed with an anxiety disorder which they beleive has got worse after having a baby - it's not full blown PND but has some similar characteristics.

Some days I feel nearly normal. Other days I am struggling to keep it together and am frightened even off being on my own in the house with the dc's even though I can't put my finger on why.

Can you make an appointment to see your GP. I did and am now in contact with a peri-natal mental health team.

smallblessings Mon 01-Jun-09 23:09:01

I do want to seek help but am frightened. I know I have nothing to worry about and probably do need help. sad

mulranno Mon 01-Jun-09 23:10:51

Would suggest that you speak with your HV...they do something called an "edinburgh" questionare where you are assessed through your answers to a series of Qs....it is quite early to be diagnosed at 11 weeks as often there is a bit of a crisis which happens after quite few months of trying to cope - but if you can idenify feelings from before and you are experiencing them again... i would talk to you HV or GP sooner rather than later...go with your gut..if you dont feel right

wobbegong Tue 02-Jun-09 19:54:09

Here is the Edinburgh questionnaire smallblessings

edinburgh questionnaire

Some of the things you say about feeling down, anxious for no reason etc. do chime with questions on the test.

Just to echo what mulranno says and recommend that you have a chat with your HV or GP. It sounds like you are wondering whether you are "bad enough" to seek help. Well, if you are wondering that, then the answer is probably- talk to a professional. They may want to just keep an eye on you for a few weeks to see whether it is just baby blues/ total knackerdom and things will get better of their own accord, or whether things get worse and you start to feel bad more and more. And no you won't be wasting their time at all. Please don't feel frightened about talking with them- it is their job after all.

Congratulations on your new baby BTW.

smallblessings Tue 02-Jun-09 22:31:49

Thanks for all your replies. smile

smallblessings Tue 02-Jun-09 22:36:12

wobbegong - I have just taken the test and my score suggested a depressive illness. sad I think I will call the HV tommorrow. Thanks you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now