Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

how can you be bipolar if you dont always have one extreme or the other... surely then you are just "in a mood"

(10 Posts)
sheneversaidit Sat 30-May-09 01:07:15

I think I am well and truly going mad. I have been years ago DX as bipolar but after so long being totally balanced and happy and normal the DX was retracted. Now I am losing the plot. I dont want to be DX again but I cant sleep, I am doing things I shouldnt and thinking things I dont want to. And I cant snap out of it. So I was reading about bipolar, you havent got to always be in one extreme or the other, but then what makes it different from just going through a "manic phase" - it wouldnt justify treatment for your whole life for just a few episodes would it. I dont want to get into the depths of my depravity right now. Suffice it to say I am not like other people.

PurpleOne Sat 30-May-09 04:39:39

Never had a Dx here, but I do believe I have it too.
Never had the crazy highs, but the crushing depression and horrid thoughs have been around for years.
The addicitons, the madness, then a wee bit of normality and back down again. The craziness with spending money, the frustration and just generally being on an emotional rollercoaster.

Know how you feel x

sheneversaidit Sat 30-May-09 10:47:42

I just cant bear going back on serious medication. I've been down that road before and it was awful. Now I am just on prozac and for years it has worked brilliantly.

MANATEEequineOHARA Sat 30-May-09 10:52:44

Could be Borderline Personality Disorder rather than Bipolar? (Sounds more like it in Purpleone's case anyway).

skihorse Sun 31-May-09 11:33:26

I agree with Manatee... it sounds more like BPD than Bipolar - however bipolar is the label that people are more likely to be given - it's more socially acceptable to have a chemical imbalance than a "personality disorder".

FeelMuchBrighterToday Sun 31-May-09 13:17:02

interesting - was just thinking about this long term meds thing on notevenamousie's thread and whether the approach of meds for life is shifting in favour of just treating the episodes

I think anyone who has truly had a full blown manic episode will have been treated and diagnosed, it's not an easy illness to hide is it? and if you've had a couple of those then you have to accept there's a lifelong possibility of having another

FeelMuchBrighterToday Sun 31-May-09 13:25:17

I do think it is mad just being on an SSRI if you've got bipolar though - how long have you been doing that for?

sheneversaidit Sun 31-May-09 13:53:41

I have just been on prozac for about a year now - I came off olanzapine and before that lithium.

Am feeling much better today - I got a whole nights sleep last night and feel much more calm and peaceful than I have been.

FeelMuchBrighterToday Sun 31-May-09 13:57:00

glad you are feeling better

bit envy, would love to ditch quetiapine (only slightly less fattening than olanzapine)

sheneversaidit Sun 31-May-09 14:26:13

well I ditched olanzapine because I gained so much weight - an unbelievable amount. It is slowly coming off. My olanzapine was actually originally prescribed for migraines, it didnt work though. At any rate I began having a creeping feeling that the meds were doing more harm than good so I decided to try just prozac - which has been great - til about 2 weeks ago! grin watch this space

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now