Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

CAn anyone recommend a good psychiatrist in the central London area?

(19 Posts)
CrushWithEyeliner Mon 27-Apr-09 19:06:47

thanks x

staggerlee Mon 27-Apr-09 20:39:57

I take it you mean in the private sector? Otherwise psychiatrists tend to be in community mental health teams or inpatient units which are either catchment area or GP aligned.

The only private hospital I know with community psychiatrists attached is the Capio Nightingale in Marylebone (google the name for contact details).

MarthaFarquhar Mon 27-Apr-09 20:42:44

hmmm....I do not hold any of the private psychiatrists I have come across in high esteem. would particularly avoid RH in Harley Street.

CrushWithEyeliner Mon 27-Apr-09 21:12:18

Yes private sector - avoid harley St really? what is RH?

vonsudenfed Mon 27-Apr-09 21:14:54

What kind of treatment/advice are you after?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 27-Apr-09 21:25:25

Psychiatrist only? Or therapist?

I can recommend someone good (a therapist) in E3, but that's probably not too convenient for you.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 27-Apr-09 21:28:29

And, tbh, the therapist I'd recommend could probably recommend someone closer to your area, if you spoke to her. You need to CAT me to get details, though, I'm not posting anything on here.

CrushWithEyeliner Tue 28-Apr-09 10:07:40

Well I am not sure about therapy/ psyc what is the difference? Sorry I am v ignorant of all this. My Dr has suggested I see a Psychiatrist for anxiety and will refer me but I need to find a "good" one I can travel to. I don't know where to start....How do I CAT you NQC?

CountessDracula Tue 28-Apr-09 10:08:50

are you sure he didn't say psychotherpist?

dittany Tue 28-Apr-09 10:13:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tiggerlovestobounce Tue 28-Apr-09 10:17:49

It might be worthwhile letting your GP refer you to your local team, and then after they have carried out their assessment see what sort of treatement they think you should have, and who they would recommend you see - whether its a counsellor, psychotherapist, psychology or psychiatrist. Then you would be able to decide whether to carry on with NHS treatment or go private.

CrushWithEyeliner Tue 28-Apr-09 10:19:42

Ah Ok. Psychotherapy is probably what she meant. She thought I may have had PND undiagnosed and thought I would benefit from some kind of help....

dittany Tue 28-Apr-09 10:22:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrushWithEyeliner Tue 28-Apr-09 10:25:38

Wow that looks great but so hard for me to get to...

I need one a bit local to me, but I will look into it thank you so much x

Tigerbear Tue 28-Apr-09 10:53:16

Hi there,
I have been to a great therapist called Susan O'Sullivan ( - she is based very central - Soho Square, W1.
I went there for similar reasons to you - anxiety - and she provided me with practical solutions and techniques to try to overcome it. I only had about 8 sessions, and improved rapidly during that time. I had previously been to another therapist who was nice, but didn't provide the practical tools I needed - she was of the type who just sit there and let you talk at them for an hour, which is all well and good and quite nice to have a 'release' for a few times, but I didn't feel like I was really getting anywhere, iyswim.

However, what is good for one person might not be the same for the next person, so you have to find a therapist you 'click' with and feel able to trust and open up to, otherwise the sessions will be counter productive.

Let me know if you have any queries, I'd be happy to post comments here, or you can have my personal email if you want it.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 28-Apr-09 14:37:16

If you look at the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy, you can find someone near you. What part of London do you want them in? Central people are (I suspect) a lot more expensive, the further out you get from the middle, the cheaper, I'd think.

You can email me on " at". You need to remove the LEAVEOUTTHISBIT and change the "at" to @.

dittany Tue 28-Apr-09 22:00:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

laurasmith90 Sun 25-Oct-15 00:07:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Cazzy99 Sun 04-Sep-16 11:54:49

I know this is a really old thread. I stumbled across it in 2016, when I was searching for an affordable psychiatrist (as I've been let down by the local NHS community mental health service). The local private psychiatrists in my area (Essex), however, were way too expensive (at least £250-£350 per session). I had read in the newspapers, about new Polish run medical/dental clinics, in London, that have become very popular with other British patients who are also fed up with the NHS. So I did a Google search, to see if any provided a psychiatry service, and hey presto, I've found three. The one I've tried is at Green Surgery, Greenwich (Dr Magda Czerwińska - she's amazing, very understanding and genuinely caring, speaks excellent English - only charging £85 per visit) - I highly recommend this doctor. Plus the clinic is very modern and clean, and I found the reception staff to be very friendly and helpful too. There's another Polish psychiatrist, Dr Aneta Rewer, who works at PMC Private Medical Centre (Acton & Ealing) and charges £80. A Dr Robert Wojciechowski works at 'Poland Medical,' at both Greenford and Coventry (charges £90 for the first visit, then £60 for following visits). Another clinic, 'Tooting Medical Centre' has a psychiatrist, charging £80 for the first visit, and then £60 for following visits. I hope this info might help someone else in the same boat, who are also searching. Best wishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now