Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

People on Prozac

(7 Posts)
MistressMary Thu 14-Apr-05 18:02:35

Can anyone tell me how it affected you, side effects, did it help, did it make any difference?

Had some prescribed to me. Want to know from some experience what they are like and not just a Doctors opinion please. Thanks.

mummytosteven Thu 14-Apr-05 18:06:30

Have taken it twice, for OCD with depression secondary to that. 20 mg both times

Time 1 - felt agitated first few days, that was it re:side effects

Time 2 - dodgy tummy on and off for first fortnight, but nothing incapacitating. feel a bit headachey if I forget to take them for a few days.

both times I'ld say it kills the libido a bit.

found it v. helpful both times - took a few weeks for any effect, a couple of months for a significant effect.

they affect different people different ways tho - so if you do have problems with it, then there are plenty other similar ADs that might help.

other thing to watch for is combining them with alcohol - they might make you drunk a bit quicker, so take it slowly until you know how it affects you.

HTH

mummytosteven Thu 14-Apr-05 18:07:15

there has been another thread in last few months on Prozac started by "Tid" about Prozac - most people on that thread had found Prozac helpful

mummytosteven Thu 14-Apr-05 18:10:32

here's the thread I was referring to about Prozac/Fluoxetine - http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=2100&threadid=62217

MistressMary Thu 14-Apr-05 18:28:08

Thanks

cat82 Thu 14-Apr-05 18:50:05

I'm on it now 20mg, still waiting for it to really help my mood as i'm only on my 4th week. I felt very, very sick for about 2.5 weeks but that's gone now.
I have taken it in the past and found it to very very helpful after about 5 weeks or so.
HTH x

adrift Wed 20-Apr-05 13:32:28

I tried sertraline which is in the Prozac family. I was that 1 in 100 who had a bad reaction: upset stomach, decreased appetite, insomnia, jitteriness, increased crying jags, mood swings, then fullblown panic attacks. Much worse than my original symptoms. I was only on it for 4 days, then my parents and DH ordered me off it (I was so out of it, I'd assumed it was the PND getting worse).
Just asking around friends, I gather my experience was unusual, but by no means freakish.
(I'm on an old-style AD now, and it's fine.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now