Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

tension headaches

(25 Posts)
steph29 Mon 09-Feb-09 17:40:25

does anyone else suffer from tension headaches, if so how do u get rid of it? i've had one for 2 weeks constantly, it feels like someones squeezing my head and won't let go - tried to ignore it and relax, tried painkillers but they don't work.
Also getting a bit dizzy and spaced out and it's making me feel really down - any advice please?

NAB09 Mon 09-Feb-09 17:42:06

I had a headache for two weeks solid once and DH made me go to the GP. It went once I had talked to her.

I get stress headaches now when I have a lot on and I know it is just because I feel overwhelmed.

Try and drink more and eat properly. I find that helps me.

HTH.

steph29 Mon 09-Feb-09 17:46:04

thanks nab09 i find i'm comfort eating at the moment - don't really know why perhaps a change of diet will help, coffee and chocolate hasn't worked so far!

NAB09 Mon 09-Feb-09 18:29:50

I am probably wrong but I think coffee and choc could make the head ache worse.

steph29 Mon 09-Feb-09 19:33:37

yeh i've heard that actually will cut them both out for a week and see what happens smile

NAB09 Mon 09-Feb-09 19:36:14

When I gave up coca cola and chocolate for a while I had headaches for a while and it was just withdrawal. Hang in there.

steph29 Tue 10-Feb-09 18:26:26

managed to go all day without coffee and most of the day without chocolate till i found a creme egg in the cupboard! blush

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 10-Feb-09 18:28:00

Yes, I've had them. Syndol is BRILLIANT. You can buy it over the counter.

Surfermum Tue 10-Feb-09 18:31:36

Yes, Syndol is fantastic. But take one the first time you take them not two as they can knock you out! Take one and in about 20 mins and you can literally feel it taking effect.

I carry them in my handbag so I always have them available. I used to suffer really badly with tension headaches and would have to go home and go to bed, so discovering Syndol was just brilliant.

Boots down their own version too which is cheaper.

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 10-Feb-09 18:33:03

oooh do they surfermum???? thats good to know.
I needed some at the weekend and stole my brothers grin, well, I told him i was going to take them.

steph29 Tue 10-Feb-09 18:40:06

i'm rushing out for syndol in the morning with high hopes then! have been to docs and tried all kinds of strong pills all of which i've reacted badly to (get really spaced out)
do u know what the active ingredient is so i can find a cheaper version please surfermum?

Surfermum Tue 10-Feb-09 18:43:40

I have just had a look and I don't have a box to look at. At Boots they are called something like "Tension Headache tablets". The pharmacist should be able to help you.

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 10-Feb-09 18:46:42

They do space me out a bit, but, on balance, they are worth it. IMO.

drinkmoretea Tue 10-Feb-09 18:50:27

I suffer from these and my doctor prescribed me diazepam, sometimes they work sometimes not..

steph29 Sun 15-Feb-09 18:50:10

syndol hasn't worked now it's gone from a tense feeling and aching shoulders to a pain behind my right eye and across the right side of my head - i can hardly see straight at the moment. Been nearly 3 weeks solid.
Should i be worried? and has anyone else got new advice i'm getting scared now

WowOoo Sun 15-Feb-09 19:25:30

Have you seen a doctor?

Tried massage? It's not as relaxing as someone else doing it but I find around the temples, the whole scalp and anywhere it hurts really can make them a bit better.

Some fresh air, resting, drinking water, tablets. Can't think of anything else to suggest. Hope it goes away soon.

LucyEllensmummy Sun 15-Feb-09 19:53:12

its almost like you are describing a mirgraine, but of course they tend to be short lived. I wonder if you have a muscle in spasm or something - i would go to the doctor and maybe get a referral to what? An osteopath or chiropractor? Whoever would be most appropriate.

SweatyArseCrack Mon 16-Feb-09 13:42:53

I had tension headaches for an entire year once. I was backward and forward to doctors and he assured me it was nothing serious but unfortunately, there was nothing he could do sad

Have not read full thread but have you taken cocordinal? if so, be careful as they can actually encourage tension headaches.

heavenstobetsy Mon 16-Feb-09 14:06:57

I think you need to go to the doctor TBH; pain killers might dull the pain but they won't unlock the muscle and until they 'unclench' you won't feel better. I had a really bad tension headache years ago and was prescribed something which I now can't remember what it was! It was essentially something to relax me in the night. Failing that a really good massage helps me now - not a beautician type massage but one from an osteopath or chiropractor.

mej3 Mon 16-Feb-09 14:24:26

Hi, I don't know if you wear glasses, but sometimes constant headaches can be a sign that you need to visit opticians. They can also tell things about your health when they gives eyes a proper examination...just a thought.

saggyhairyarse Tue 17-Feb-09 08:02:59

I get them too.

The Dr said the best thing is cranial massage but she can't prescribe that. I get them because my neck muscles spasm so I take Dyclofenac to sort that out and then max strength over the counter painkillers.

CharlotteLucasOliveBranch Sun 21-Dec-14 12:12:52

I know this is a zombie thread, but it seems to relate to my problem of really awful debilitating headaches which seem to come around with suspicious regularity - They last about 3 days, happen about once a month, and I often need to eat a lots of sugar (eg sweets) before they start. I am mid-50s, several years past the menopause - so could this still be related? Normal pain relievers only slightly dull the pain, but I have to take a lot, and these make me feel unwell in themselves - a bit nauseous etc. The pain persists through my sleep and I tend to get nightmares from it too. I get extremely grumpy, don't like noise or bright light. But I don't think they are migraines, as the GP once prescribed me beta-blockers and so on - which were disastrous and didn't help at all.

The pain is awful, like tight squeezing around my head, especially over the right eye and over right hand side of head and down neck. I did go to a chiropractor who found lots of neck/shoulder muscle tension, and she did a lot - but the problem hasn't been solved, hasn't gone away, as it still recurs so regularly. Could it be hormonal? - Might there be some treatment I have missed out on? Is it worth going back to GP and begging for a brain scan or something, to help diagnose? Honestly it can get so bad that I want to cut my head off....

Please help with advice if anyone can, and has had similar - I can't afford to lose 3 days out of every month, especially as I am now supposed to be 'over' the menopause!!

Guyropes Sun 21-Dec-14 12:26:33

Hi Charlotte... Outlandish suggestion here, but I had what you describe... Hormonal related utterly debilitating headaches (although not yet menopausal). They completely disappeared when I got together with my bf. we have a great sex life and he makes me orgasm a lot.

I then discovered that one of the hormones released at orgasm, oxytocin is being trialled as a migraine treatment.

Hope you find something that works for you.

CharlotteLucasOliveBranch Sun 21-Dec-14 15:24:12

Thanks Guyropes, I'll look out for oxytocin then (and glad for you about the good sex life grin and its therapeutic effects!)

Guyropes Sun 21-Dec-14 16:16:22

Hey Charlotte... It's still being trialled, so if you want to try it you'll need the real thing, not a pharmaceutical!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now