Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

PND or depression or stress - how do you know which?

(14 Posts)
Shazzler Fri 08-Apr-05 21:00:29

How would you know if you had PND or just depression?

I get really bad days especially when weather is bad which is most days here. My dh is on fluoxetine and I went with him to one of his appts. To cut a long story short the DR thought I was depressed too. I am supposed to get counselling or something but have not had any appt through and don't know how long these things take.

My ds is 5 and dd is 19mths.

Any body got any thoughts?

Shazzler Fri 08-Apr-05 21:14:59

Anyone able to chat?

purpleturtle Fri 08-Apr-05 21:18:35

Is there a difference really? I would have thought that PND is the same depression as 'just depression', but with the particular trigger of having a baby. I am no expert though.

I am on fluoxetine at the moment - have a 4yr old and a 2yr old - but it's not for PND, just depression (brought about by a couple of difficult situations I found myself in last year).

Shazzler Fri 08-Apr-05 21:28:34

I don't know what would be the trigger for me. I get really angry with my kids then I feel bad for shouting.

This obviously started when I had my kids as I was never in that situation before. I used to put it down to PMT but I don't think its that because it doesn't happen at regular times.

I just feel down. I feel like I need a break away from kids then I feel bad for feeling like that. Some of my friends think its awful to leave your kids for a night and never let them stay anywhere. My ds stays at my in-laws quite a bit and would stay more if I let him. I don't think its fair for me to say yes all the time even if I would like some peace!

Am a new comer to mumsnet and try to help others, just wish I could help myself.

hermykne Fri 08-Apr-05 21:32:58

shazzler
i think there is post natal stress and post natal depression, the depression tests, did you do one of these with your hv? can help illustrate whats what and thus define stress or depression, now i do not know that much about depression without pregancy so i would not like to comment just in case.

purpleturtle Fri 08-Apr-05 21:36:50

Children do affect you. Obviously. I think that if I didn't have my children, I might have coped better with the stress I was under last year that resulted in me being put on ad's. But when you've got 2 pre-schoolers they come first (when possible), and your capacity for recovery from stress is reduced. Pre-children I could have said 'sod it' and stayed in bed all day for a day or two till I'd got whatever it was out of my system, or done something else that would help. Now I have children the closest I get to that is to sit in front of CBeebies for far too long - and that's got to be enough to push anyone over the edge!

Shazzler Fri 08-Apr-05 21:39:26

Did a test with health visitor after ds but felt I knew how to answer the questions properly.

After dd I only had one test. HV phoned and asked if I was OK when I was supposed to do second one and I just said I was fine.

WigWamBam Fri 08-Apr-05 21:44:28

It seems that PND and depression are pretty much the same thing, just triggered by different events but causing the same chemical imbalance. If you are more affected when the weather is bad, could it be SAD rather than PND? I think you probably need to go back to the GP and have another chat with him, see if there is any other treatment which you could have while you are waiting for your counselling, and to see if he can try and hurry the appointment along for you.

Shazzler Fri 08-Apr-05 21:47:51

I have an appt on Monday to get new prescription for pill (Microgynon) and I have just been reading a thread about that so now I am wondering if I should be on that or not.

purpleturtle Fri 08-Apr-05 21:49:43

I was an absolute NIGHTMARE on that when we were first married! I even wonder now whether the depo injection I had been having contributed to my diagnosis of depression. I have just never really got on very well with the pill. (And in my experience, depression does as good a job of contraception - but that may be TMI )

Shazzler Fri 08-Apr-05 22:15:19

Was on Cilest years ago don't know why I am on Microgynon now. Was put on it after I finished bf dd.

purpleturtle Fri 08-Apr-05 22:16:18

I didn't cope very well with that either! But it's definitely worth talking to your GP about it.

Shazzler Fri 08-Apr-05 22:21:05

Will talk to him on Monday.

On the brighter side we are going on holiday on 20th to Italy so hopefully that will help me relax.

I just want to feel better and normal and not think that everyone else is having a better time than me.

lucy5 Fri 08-Apr-05 22:25:07

I was diagnosed with pnd when dd was about 18 months my gp said it could come on upto the age of 2.5 I think. He gave me magnesium and vitamin b6, it was miraculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now