Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do I go about getting myself admitted right NOW

(29 Posts)
quickfix Fri 06-Feb-09 21:24:21

Given that I am on own with DC and nobody nearby to help, plus the snow issue.

If I don't do this I will be putting everybody at risk so I must go. Just don't know who to call, GP out of hours, NHS Direct, Ambulance?

NAB09 Fri 06-Feb-09 21:25:04

Where are your children?

What exactly is the problem?

2pt4kids Fri 06-Feb-09 21:26:36

Could you call the Samarians? They should be able to help you get in touch with people who can help in an emergency..
What are you worried will happen?

quickfix Fri 06-Feb-09 21:29:07

Hi NAB, I was wondering if actually you might know about this. Don't mean to be rude but I know you've really struggled with overwhelming feelings a bit similar.

I am just not coping with a crisis and know myself too well and realise that I could do something very bad.

UKVeggieMum Fri 06-Feb-09 21:29:50

Call your out of hours GP service, or NHS direct on 0845 4647

quickfix Fri 06-Feb-09 21:30:26

Just looked for the MN guide which has disappeared since revamp it would seem.

Have rung Samaritans before and they were a bit freaky. I need quite practical help.

RaspberryBlower Fri 06-Feb-09 21:31:19

If you phone NHS direct they will be able to help you too.

quickfix Fri 06-Feb-09 21:31:23

Okay will try NHS Direct I think rather than getting a shirty GP who is watching TV with feet up after long hard day.

ilovemydogandMrObama Fri 06-Feb-09 21:31:31

If your kids may be at risk, then you need help urgently.

Call NHS direct

thegrowlygus Fri 06-Feb-09 21:31:47

out of hours GP

cmotdibbler Fri 06-Feb-09 21:32:03

Ring the out of hours GP - they can contact the CMH crisis team who will take it from thre

smurfgirl Fri 06-Feb-09 21:33:12

You are probably best going to A&E? Its very hard to be admitted so you may need to be prepared for this not to happen.

UKVeggieMum Fri 06-Feb-09 21:40:10

I wouldn't go straight to A&E, you should call your out of hours GP service or NHS Direct (who will transfer you to the out of hours service if necessary), the out of hours doctor will know what's available in your area.

RaspberryBlower Fri 06-Feb-09 21:45:02

I wouldn't go straight to A&E either, especially not on a Friday night.

quickfix Sat 07-Feb-09 00:34:12

Have phoned NHS Direct now and they are sorting emergency assessment for me

thank you

Yurtgirl Sat 07-Feb-09 00:39:54

Hope you sort yourself out quickfix

quickfix Sat 07-Feb-09 00:47:37

Cheers yurtgirl.

It's a bit late to be asking here but I'm not sure what to say to get the help I need. Am in a state but don't have long term or ongoing depression.

Will they take seriously. I know I'm in danger of making a stupid rash decision so I know I need to get help.

Doozle Sat 07-Feb-09 00:57:46

Just tell them what you've told us, they will take you seriously. If anything, people often tend to underplay their situation to health professionals ...so they'll be concerned if you're concerned.

Doozle Sat 07-Feb-09 00:58:31

Ps.Are they calling you back soon?

quickfix Sat 07-Feb-09 06:46:25

I've been to hospital, seen crisis team. They are going to support me.

Felt better having permission to have failed and be unwell to be honest.

Will see what the new week brings.

RaspberryBlower Sat 07-Feb-09 06:53:25

Good quickfix, so glad you are feeling a bit better and hopefully will get the support you need. I totally understand the relief you feel when someone says, yes, you are not well and this is what we can try to do about it.

If you keep posting, we'll support you too! Good luck.

TooTicky Sat 07-Feb-09 07:05:25

Quickfix, I admire you. I hope things improve.

RaspberryBlower Sat 07-Feb-09 07:30:19

Try not to see this as a failure - you have succeeded in recognising a problem and getting support, doing the best thing for yourself and your family. This is a lot further than a lot of people get and is the sign of a brave person.

angrypixie Sat 07-Feb-09 07:34:10

WOW amazing quick action on your part. Well done for seeking and receiving help, many here know your pain,

loopylou6 Sat 07-Feb-09 10:21:00

well done quickfix, you have not failed at all, you have realised that you have a problem, and you have got it dealt with promptly, you should be proud of yourself, i for one admire you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now