Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

St Johns Wort

(10 Posts)
emmielou Tue 05-Apr-05 20:32:32

Anyone use it? Does it help with depression?

wobblyknicks Tue 05-Apr-05 20:33:58

I've used it in the past and it seemed to work for me, but it can interfere with lots of medication (and the Pill, which is why i don't take it now) so ask your gp before you take it.

swiperfox Tue 05-Apr-05 20:34:03

I use it and i think its brilliant - it has really picked me up - there's a whole thread about it - i'll just go find it for you

mummytosteven Tue 05-Apr-05 20:34:59

I've used but didn't like it - it gave me a really weird tic so I stopped taking it after a few days. It does have quite a good reputation for helping with mild depression, but doesn't work for everyone. one thing to watch for is it interacting with other drugs - so if you are on any prescription medication, check it out with a doc/pharmacist first. e.g. SJW can make the pill less effective.

IMHO if you are feeling down enough to self medicate, it's worth going to see the doc anyway - aside from anything else they can check for physical problems like low thyroid levels/low iron levels that can cause depression/anxiety.

darlingbud Tue 05-Apr-05 20:36:54

Dad used it. It worked a bit like Kalms for him - not ADs just a way to help deal better with stressful situations.

swiperfox Tue 05-Apr-05 20:44:20

have a look here there's some handy advice

emmielou Tue 05-Apr-05 20:46:58

Thx Swiperfox, but the link gave the World time zone ???

Katemum Tue 05-Apr-05 20:52:13

It's working quite well for me at the moment. Have mild pnd and didn't want to take ads.

swiperfox Tue 05-Apr-05 20:54:19

lol - no idea why!!! Will try again

swiperfox Tue 05-Apr-05 20:55:33

hopefullyhere !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now