Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone ever taken Seroxat?

(14 Posts)
CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Wed 29-Oct-08 20:26:08

Just been prescribed it today and was just wondering how anyone else found it. I was kind of stuck for options as I'm still breastfeeding and the doctor thought this one was best. I've heard a lot of bad things about it though, although I know they were mostly concerning use of it in under 18s. Anyone have any experience of it? Thanks.

Hadassah Wed 29-Oct-08 20:28:00

I took it for about two years, IIRC, and I never - to my knowledge - had any problems or side-effects.

Leda Wed 29-Oct-08 20:33:01

I took it years ago and it helped, but I had problems when trying to stop taking them. I had to wean myself off slowly in the end.

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 29-Oct-08 20:33:52

Was on it for about 6 months and very slowly weaned off but no side effects

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Wed 29-Oct-08 20:35:18

Thankyou. Hopefully it'll be ok then. Now I just have to remember to take them! grin

colacubes Wed 29-Oct-08 20:35:26

mum took it and no problems.

Hadassah Wed 29-Oct-08 20:36:34

Oh yes - I was advised to reduce slowly as well. So I chopped up 30 tablets into halves and 30 into quarters, and dropped first to half a day for 2 months and a quarter a day for four months and then stopped - which was probably unnecessarily long. I have not tried stopping completely from a full dose so cannot say anything about that.

asdmumandteacher Wed 29-Oct-08 20:37:35

I took it at Uni for depression - felt very calm but unemotional about everything - no side effects just never felt sadness or joy...sort of muted emotional responses

Was put on Sertraline and found this lighter

No problems coming off Seroxat tho

wavetothewottingers Wed 29-Oct-08 20:38:24

It's a while now since I took it (about 6 years) but it worked for me. I seem to rememeber the idea was that it re-set your brain chemistry and so you take it for a while and then are never depressed again. I took a full dose for 6 months, came off - was still depressed went back on for another 18 months - and yay really, honestly was re-set and haven't ever felt that awful dragging blackness ever again. One thing I did find was that the full dose made me feel tried, sluggish and a bit muddled - for second period I only took half a tablet which got rid of side effects. It was only whilst coming off the first time - you graduly reduce the dose - that I found the right dose for me. And I think most of the worrisome side effects on seroxat are when you first take it and when you come off, so you might ask someone to keep an extra eye on you at those times. But so much better than feeling like cr*p. Really hope it works for you.

littlelamb Wed 29-Oct-08 20:42:22

My brother had real problems coming off Seroxat and is still suffering the side effects of it nearly 5 years later. He thinks they made his anxiety and depression much worse and he suffers bad agorophobia as well. He was in his 20s when he was taking it.

singyswife Wed 29-Oct-08 20:47:34

I have been taking it for about 2 years now. I came off it and then went back on it. To come off it my gp gave me fluoxotine to take at the same time as seroxat for a week and then stop taking seroxat. Then slowly come off the other ones. It is to do with how seroxat works. It sends the chemical directly to your brain (no other ad's work like this) and so if you dont take it your brain goes 'where did it go' and then you get the side effects but if you kid your brain on with taking something else then you dont get the withdrawal. It worked brillinatly for me. I had to go back on them though as my pcos causes hormone depression so I am now on them 'forever and a day to keep the wolf from the door'. I dont have any problems that I know of being on them. Hope you feel better soon.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Wed 29-Oct-08 20:49:27

Thanks for your experiences. I've only been prescribed 10mg with a view to reviewing and increasing in a few weeks. The weaning off process concerns me a bit tbh, I don't like being dependent on anything. Still, gotta do what you gotta do. I wanted sertraline as I'd researched them all and that one seemed fine as well. Doctor's book said only suitable for the short term though, so she didn't want to prescribe it. Bfing complicates things so much sometimes!

edam Wed 29-Oct-08 20:51:26

A small minority of people who take Seroxat suffer serious side-effects and find it very hard to withdraw from the drug. It's been banned for teenagers because the most extreme side effects seem to be largely in this group of patients.

Read the patient information leaflet and be aware that if you do start to feel worse, not better, it may be the drug talking. Go back and see your GP urgently if you feel bad.

Having said all this, you will very probably be in the bigger group of people who it helps. I hope it does help you recover - just worth making a mental note that if you experience any deterioration in your mood you should get help.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Wed 29-Oct-08 20:53:57

Thanks edam. I've read the leaflet so hopefully I recognise any side effects if they occur.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now